By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
Susan Donaldson James More from Susan »
Digital Reporter
Susan Donaldson James More from Susan »
abc_susan_donaldson_james_111129_cutout.png

Digital Reporter

via Good Morning America
HT_Mary_Margret_Williams1_ml_130815_16x9_992.jpg

Gabby, shown here with her mother Mary Margret Williams, is 8 years old, but has barely aged, a condition that has baffled her doctors.
Matt Wicks/TLC
Next Video Girl Who Doesn't Grow Baffles Docs

Gabby Williams has the facial features and skin of a newborn, and she is just as dependent. Her mother feeds, diapers and cradles her tiny frame as she did the day she was born.

The little girl from Billings, Mont., is 8 years old, but weighs only 11 pounds. Gabby has a mysterious condition, shared by only a handful of others in the world, that slows her rate of aging.

For the past two years, a doctor who has been trying to find the genetic off-switch to stop the aging process has been studying Gabby, as well as two other people who have striking similarities.

Why the 'Benjamin Button' children never age.

A 29-year-old Florida man has the body of a 10-year-old, and a 31-year-old Brazilian woman is the size of a 2-year-old. Like Gabby, neither seems to grow older.

Unraveling what these three people may have in common is the subject of a TLC television special, "40-Year-Old Child: A New Case," which airs Monday, Aug. 19, at 10 p.m. ET. The show is a follow-up to Gabby's story, which aired last year.

"In some people, something happens to them and the development process is retarded," said medical researcher Richard F. Walker. "The rate of change in the body slows and is negligible."

16-year-old is the size of a toddler.

Walker is retired from the University of Florida Medical School and now does his research at All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg.

"My whole career has been focused on the aging process," he told ABCNews.com. "My fixation has been not on the consequences but the cause of it."

Not only do the people he's studying have a growth rate of one-fifth the speed of others, but they live with a variety of other medical problems, including deafness, the inability to walk, eat or even speak.

"Gabrielle hasn't changed since pretty much forever," said her mother, Mary Margret Williams, 38. "She has gotten a little longer and we have jumped into putting her in size 3-6 month clothes instead of 0-3 months for the footies.

"Last time we weighed her she was up a pound to 11 pounds and she's gotten a few more haircuts," she told ABCNews.com. "Other than that, she hasn't changed much since the [2012] show."

Williams, who works part-time at a dermatologist's office, and her husband, a corrections officer for the state, share the child care responsibilities for their perpetual infant.

Walker explains that physiological change, or what he calls "developmental inertia," is essential for human growth. Maturation occurs after reproduction.

"Without that process we never develop," he said. "When we develop, all the pieces of our body come together and change and are coordinated. Otherwise, there would be chaos."

But, said Walker, the body does not have a "stop switch" for this development. "What happens is we become mature at age 20 and continue to change."

The first subtle internal body changes of aging are seen in the 30s and become more visible in the 40s.

"There is a progressive erosion of internal order as a result of developmental inertia," he said.

In one of the girls Walker has studied, he found damage to one of the genes that causes developmental inertia, a finding that he said is significant. He also suspects the mutations are on the regulatory genes on the second female X chromosome.

"If we could identify the gene and then at young adulthood we could silence the expression of developmental inertia, find an off-switch, when you do that, there is perfect homeostasis and you are biologically immortal."

Now Walker doesn't mean that people will never die. Disease and accidents will still end human life.

Zeirbah

That's strange, I thought I was the only one who hadn't been aging since at least 15 years old, and I'm still the same height, look the same, and sound the same as I did back three years ago. I'm 18 years old now, and it's really strange.

TimeFlipper

The people we read about didnt have any mental accuity unfortunately..

tymeonadime

Again, I realize this is an older thread, and I apologize for resurfacing it.

That being said, what if these children, are the result if the universe trying to rush our evolution? Evolution can be called a string of progressive mutations or changes that move a species toward a certain things at a certain time over the course of a certain time. Am I correct in this assumption? I haven't studied Darwinism so....

If scientific medicine can find and manipulate the cause if this , I hesitate to say mutation, but this peculiarity, would that then become the modern day equivalent of the " Fountain Of Youth" ?

The one article hints at the possible application of said manipulation as being an important and vital piece of the solution to the problems facing extreme distance space exploration/travel.

I find it extremely intriguing that the aging process halted at such young ages. So far it seems that all patients with this particular issue have a myriad of other health issues as well. Like their internal clock has been disabled, allowing them to remain infant like for life. It's also extremely sad, to me anyway, that they don't have the ability to communicate their feelings and thoughts. That's not saying that they don't know what they want or where they are, but just that it would be like being locked into an isolation chamber with no way to speak your thoughts. At the same time, perhaps their tragically underdeveloped brains aren't capable of complicated thoughts and or emotions, and as such remain oblivious of the worries that consume the rest of us...........