A Divided Earth?

SergiusPaulus

The book of Chronicles discusses the lineage of Adam until a later time in Israeli civilization.

“And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg; because in his days the earth was divided: and his brother's name was Joktan.”

‭‭1 Chronicles‬ ‭1‬:‭19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Does this speculate that the earth experienced a physical geological division or is it referring to a sociological division during this time period?

Does this verse refer to the separation of the tectonic plates? Science describes that as many millennia ago. I’m just wondering what is meant by the planet being divided.

SergiusPaulus

As with science, religion has varied views of the same original text. The Amplified Classic Version says the verse this way indicating that it’s the populations that were divided. But a question remains what is the relevance of the division in that particular generation.

“To Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg, because in his days [the population of] the earth was divided [according to its languages], and his brother's name was Joktan.”

‭‭1 Chronicles‬ ‭1‬:‭19‬ ‭AMPC‬‬

Mayhem

Zenith
I have a question? Do you multiple post these topics on other forums or ?

SergiusPaulus

I’m sorry. No. I get carried away sometimes. I’m trying to reconcile science with religion. It’s hard. With religion being such a key component of existence it would seem that religion may provide clues to certain scientific information. I’ll use more self control.

SergiusPaulus

Biblically Eden was seen as a balanced environment. A version of Revelation suggests Eden may be restored. With the progression of science and religion it would be interesting to observe that process.