Ad blocking software

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I'm getting this annoying message every time I visit the site. Started this morning. Here is the message in its entirety.

"Oh man! Ad-blocking software has been detected! :'(
This website is run by the community, for the community... and it needs advertisements in order to keep running.
Please disable your ad-block to hide this notice. Our ads are text-only. No annoying flashing banners, we promise."

Just wondering if the site has been hacked. It's obvious from my end that someone has found a new way to gain access to my computer. All virus scans so far have come up with nothing.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
No, the site's not been hacked. It's a common template edit for xenForo meant to encourage you not to run AdBlock here.

You don't have a virus; just disable your AdBlocker for this site. Num deserves a few bucks for his efforts, and the ads aren't intrusive. Running a site ain't free.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
So what you're saying is this site is now running software that defeats my right to privacy. I use Ad Blocker to avoid crap like this.

What does everyone else think about this new intrusive way to invade your privacy?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
So what you're saying is this site is now running software that defeats my right to privacy. I use Ad Blocker to avoid crap like this.

What does everyone else think about this new intrusive way to invade your privacy?

I don't think you understand the distinction between:
  1. Software that invades your privacy
  2. A template edit that puts a message behind where an ad would be

If you search Google day in and day out for certain categories of things, Google is going to know you're interested in those things and use that information to try and show you ads that are relevant to you, and when you visit a site that has AdSense on it, Google is going to make sure the site you're on delivers those same relevant ads.

All Num has done is make a template edit that displays a message BEHIND where the ad would be, so that it only displays if you have ad blocking software. You're well within your rights to run AdBlocker, and Num is well within his rights to implement solutions that encourage and ensure the continued existence of his site. Looks like your choice is to either help support the site a bit or deal with the sad face nag message.

Do you really feel like Num shouldn't be doing all this entirely out of his own pocket? That's awfully selfish, considering how much you're on here. I think you're doing him a huge disservice by reacting this way without really knowing the facts and HOW these things work.

Nobody is hacking, stealing or doing anything else with your information that you haven't already agreed to by a) using services like Google or b) signing up for a Paranormalis.com account.

I've been a web developer (or at least been part of that scene) since 2003 and there's nothing going on here that you have any real cause to object to.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
The only motivation behind this is to get some help from the community in order to fund Paranormalis without having to ask for donations, premium membership, etc.

Your privacy isn't affected at all. Using an ad-blocker doesn't prevent Google from monitoring your Internet activity. It blocks the ads, that's all it does.

If you include us in your ad-blocker's exceptions, the ads that you are going to see on Paranormalis are text-only ads. No flashing crap, no ads with videos. It won't bother you and it'll help support the forum.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
I've actually seen some pretty cool ads show up; earlier I saw something that said I could be an ordained minister which I thought was pretty funny. Turns out I can become a bonafide pastor/minister and perform weddings for only $139.

This is what's at the top of the page now:

upload_2014-5-4_22-4-3.png

If you click the little X on the ad, you have the option to "tune" what you're shown to be more interesting. I know that's a little HAIL CORPORATE for some people but it's interesting to see the results.

I apologize if I came off a bit steep - I know from first hand experience that running a site isn't cheap and one of the things that can cause problems is people not understanding how something works, putting a negative privacy spin on something and then down the tubes she goes.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
All I'm asking is that you respect my decision to not see ads. So far it has been nothing but disrespect with this intrusive manner you have chosen to target me.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
All I'm asking is that you respect my decision to not see ads. So far it has been nothing but disrespect with this intrusive manner you have chosen to target me.

Who's targeting you? You started the thread flailing around about viruses and being hacked; I responded matter-of-factly explaining exactly what you were seeing and why I think Num doesn't deserve to have to bear the entire cost of this place completely solo.

Hopefully you're not insinuating that Num has chosen to target ONLY your account to display that "please don't block ads" message...

Your decision not to support the site isn't one I'll respect, but one I'll acknowledge as being your choice. Quid pro quo, I think it's fair that you accept the little annoying message in exchange.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I didn't target you personally, obviously. I'm not forcing you to see the ads either. I respect your choice not to support this website if you don't want to.

This message you are seeing doesn't affect your privacy and it doesn't invade your private life. It's an invitation to help support Paranormalis by allowing non-intrusive, subtle text-only ads.