Ads

Khaos

where the wild things are
Somewhere I remember reading that the only ads that would ever be placed here are text ads?

Well as you can see I'm getting more than just text ads. Flash, sound, pop up... Anyone else getting these too?

Attachments

• ads.png
    ads.png
    247.1 KB · Views: 3

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Due to revenues going down big time for the last 6 months, I recently enabled the non-text ads in order to test things out. I did it about 2 weeks ago.

You probably saw that message about non-text ads in a notice that used to be displayed when ad-block was detected. I removed it, as it didn't make any difference.

Are you really getting pop-ups out of those ads? As for the sound, I disabled all ads containing actual videos or sound. I'm surprised, as this isn't suppose to happen. I didn't experience that yet with the ads running on here.

Khaos

where the wild things are
Well if you disabled it its possible I have malware... Which should be triggering my antivirus but we all know that AVG sucks. And don't tell me to go with Avast, god I hate that antivirus. It did nothing for me that time I had a virus infect and kill my computer a few years ago.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Hmm. Which browser are you using? Sometimes, Chrome or Firefox get "infected" by malicious add-ons such as Snap-Do or add-ons having to do with ads networks. They basically add ads in webpages, bring up pop-ups and the likes. That reminds me of this.

Maybe check if you have weird add-ons/plugins you don't know about, installed in your browser. That can be a good start, assuming we're dealing with something of that nature.

The ads you're showing in your screenshot are legit though.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I use ad-block with element hider. Gives you back total control of the browser. You can get infected with a virus from those popups if you click on anything in the popup. If there is a popup in my face, I usually close the browser window or use element hider to disable the popup entirely. Train yourself not to read or look at anything in the popup. I believe there is subliminal mind control at work with these popups.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
A few days ago I disabled all animated and/or graphic ads. It would seem they are not worth it. I do believe they affect the forum experience a bit too, when compared to more subtle text ads like we have once more.

Ads on Paranormalis are now text-only (again!).:)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Good, because I had to turn off videos from starting for Facebook, and I manually clicked your ads back on just so you'd get credit. Now, I don't have to do that. HEHEHE

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Thank you for letting me know about this. I just contacted the ads service we're using, so that they can check it out as soon as they can.

I had this happen for a day or two, several months ago, I didn't it happened again since then.