Anonymous To Attack Sony

Anonymous

Good evening,

Anonymous is preparing to target the Sony corporation for bringing litigation against innocent individuals who have been creating features for the Playstation 3 which were previously openly available to the public. We refer largely to the ability to install the Linux operating system.

Despite the fact that this was a largely advertised feature, Sony has cut access to the Playstation 3's firmware under the guise of "security concerns". They have removed a core feature after millions of consumers have handed over their hard earned money.

Those who opted not to upgrade their systems were cut off from PSN access, purchased media and lost the ability to to play some games ans Blu-Ray discs. This is unacceptable.

As Techland reported, George Hotz, a programmer, figured out how to "jailbreak" the PS3; thus unlocking the above mentioned features. Hotz (who posts under the handle GeoHotz) published instructions for jailbreaking the PS3 on his personal website. Sony has since brought legal action against him and has received permission to subpoena Bluehost (Hotz's hosting company) to acquire a list of every IP address that ever visited his site.

This is an affront against personal privacy, one which Anonymous will not ignore.

Our demands are these:
  • Sony must end any and all attempts to prosecute individuals trying to alter a product that they legally own.
  • Sony must end all current or pending/upcoming litigation against George Hotz and any individuals behind the collected IP addresses.
  • Sony must allow for end-user modification of their product, as was heavily advertised and available before the 3.21 update.
Anonymous recognizes that there are events of greater magnitude occurring in the world today and is actively pursuing those as well. However, threats against our privacy and consumer rights cannot (and will not) go unnoticed.

We are Anonymous.
We are legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
You should have expected us.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I looked for more information about this on various other sites, I couldn't find much.

Are you going to post an update once something happens?

Anonymous

I looked for more information about this on various other sites, I couldn't find much.

Are you going to post an update once something happens?

Yes. This operation is in it's planning stages; We've posted this information with the hopes that those who know how to help, will, and to begin spreading our message to everyone else.

We will keep this thread updated as things progress or change.