Artificial Pancreas

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
We are getting closer and closer to developing an artificial pancreas. Insulin pumps are getting smaller, and it's only a matter of time before they can implant the pump and leave 2 small ports open to insert more insulin.

This is how it works now, although now you only need 2 devices, not 3 - one to monitor blood sugar and one to release insulin. They use blue tooth.

The new tubeless Omnipod looks promising, but you have to put a new one on every 3 days. I don't know why they don't just leave the frame on and let you simply plug in new insulin cartridges when needed. That will probably come.

NOTE: Not asking for medical advice. Simply discussing devices. Thank you.

Beholder

The new tubeless Omnipod looks promising, but you have to put a new one on every 3 days. I don't know why they don't just leave the frame on and let you simply plug in new insulin cartridges when needed.
That would require sucking in blood after changing insulin to get rid of air bubbles, making the device more heavy to carry and unable to fulfill the rules of class II medical CE certification ("as safe as possible"). One bubble of air can start to coagulate blood inside of the body if complex machinery breaks down, and it is difficult to keep the needle sterile if not replaced. There will likely be an mRNA cure before such machines can stay on for months.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
That would require sucking in blood after changing insulin to get rid of air bubbles, making the device more heavy to carry and unable to fulfill the rules of class II medical CE certification ("as safe as possible"). One bubble of air can start to coagulate blood inside of the body if complex machinery breaks down, and it is difficult to keep the needle sterile if not replaced. There will likely be an mRNA cure before such machines can stay on for months.

Cleanliness. Didn't think of that. I wonder if they ever tried shocking the pancreas to restart it.