Atacama Giant

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Have you ever heard of this geoglyph before?

atacama+giant.jpg
The Atacama Giant (Spanish: Gigante de Atacama) is a large anthropomorphic geoglyph in the Atacama Desert, Chile. Located at "Cerro Unitas", this is the largest prehistoric anthropomorphic figure in the world with a height of 119 metres (390 ft) and represents a deity for the local inhabitants from 1000 to 1400 CE.

The figure was an early astronomical calendar for knowing where the moon would set; by knowing this the day, crop cycle, and season could be determined. The points on the top and side of the head would say what season it would be depending on their alignment with the moon, which was very important in determining when the rainy season would come in the barren Atacama.
Atacama Giant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It can be seen on Google Maps, by the way:
cerro unitas chile - Google Maps

I'm kind of wondering, again, why would these people build such structures if they couldn't truly see them from above.

Loopi

The Bearded One
Great find, sir! I thought I had seen them all. Maybe they thought they would leave something for us to remember them by?o_0

BlastTyrant

its commonly believe that this is how the ancients would try to communicate with there gods or they were tributes to the gods. How they made some of them so detailed and defined is another mistery in its own.

Nelli

It not hard to see that it may have been used as a means to communicate with their god/s. Even in recent times we see this to be true. Take for example the islanders in the south pacific. When the allies were occupying and creating airfields to puch towards Japan the people of the islands were given chocolates, beer and foodstuff by the allies. They were amazed to see the huge "birds" the allies brought with them and the gifts. After Japans defeat and their withdrawal from the islands those people build wodden planes and even fake wooden radios to try and get these Gods and their giant "birds" to return. To this day they still wait for their return and for the gifts they would bring.