Bacterial Slime Can See

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
"Slimy microbes called cyanobacteria use their teensy bodies as lenses to collect light and "see," before growing little legs to inch toward those rays, new research suggests."

Bacterial Slime Acts As Teensy Eyeball

So, can you imagine if it multiplied to be big enough to destroy a city?

:eek:

(Begins cleansing and disinfecting every light bulb in the house...)

;)

Take them out, first.

I only say that because when I was a child, I sat on a dresser and poured water on a lit lightbulb with a spoon. It popped, scared me, and the dresser fell on top of me. I was fine. Just scared. LMAO.

Harte

Bacterial Slime Can See
Don't step over that puddle with a skirt on.

Harte

I don't wear them. I'll be careful in the shower now, though. Well.... not that there is slime in my shower.

What if it's intelligent slime, too? :confused:
Then it will buy you dinner, listen to you attentively, and not try to sneak out of your bed after you fall asleep
And it will call you. It will definitely call you.

Harte

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Don't step over that puddle with a skirt on.

Harte

I don't wear them. I'll be careful in the shower now, though. Well.... not that there is slime in my shower.

What if it's intelligent slime, too? :confused:
Then it will buy you dinner, listen to you attentively, and not try to sneak out of your bed after you fall asleep
And it will call you. It will definitely call you.

Harte

Are you telling me I've gone after the wrong species this whole time?

Drew

"Slimy microbes called cyanobacteria use their teensy bodies as lenses to collect light and "see," before growing little legs to inch toward those rays, new research suggests."

Yeah, this is bad science posing as good science. A microbe (single-celled organism) cannot grow "little legs" (multi-cell structures) any more than a microbe's "heat sensor" can be called anything even approaching vision. Just so ya know, everything that is translucent (and most things that are transparent) refract light; that doesn't make it part of an "eye." There is no analogy to be made, and the level of anthropomorphism those "researchers" threw around I find intensely anti-scientific.

TimeFlipper

Yeah, this is bad science posing as good science. A microbe (single-celled organism) cannot grow "little legs" (multi-cell structures) any more than a microbe's "heat sensor" can be called anything even approaching vision. Just so ya know, everything that is translucent (and most things that are transparent) refract light; that doesn't make it part of an "eye." There is no analogy to be made, and the level of anthropomorphism those "researchers" threw around I find intensely anti-scientific.
But Paula, our member Martian is an alien with little legs and he uses heat senses as a way of navigating without eyes :D