Bigfoot story.

Loopi

The Bearded One
I'm with you, Blast. They probably found it easier to dismiss it and lie. Rather than tell us the truth.

BlastTyrant

And it really does make you wonder what exactly has been found that we don't know about. Bigfoot has been a legend in almost every country for as long as anyone can remember, and with the amount of Hunters and people looking for them one has had to eventually been found, but the second it was about to go Viral i am sure the Men in Black have shown up. And the Lochness Monster that was Huge for awhile and now all of a sudden it's gone, Mothman, Black dogs, Chupicabra"Even though it has supposedly been found" there are so many Urban Legends and Myths that we don't have anymore that have been flushed out of society, my 10 year old brother has no idea what The Lochness Monster is. I grew up knowing all of the Legends and Mythical creatures and things that go bump in the night, and it is all lsowly being forgotten.

I guess the big thing with kids these days is the Legend of Slenderman

BlastTyrant

I believe that photo they showed was Debunked as a Bird flying infront of the camera, and the hair was inconclusive.

Loopi

The Bearded One
FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigfoot genome paper “conclusively proves” that Sasquatch is real

And it only took founding a new journal to get the results published.

by John Timmer - Feb 13 2013, 7:00pm EST
1275702528_c5015b6f7e.jpg

Bigfoot cares for its young.
Katy Kristin
It's not often you come across a scientific paper which notes that the information it covers is like something "seen on the television series Monster Quest." And you rarely read a paper which concludes, "The data conclusively proves that the Sasquatch exist as an extant hominin and are a direct maternal descendant of modern humans." But today, we have such a paper—and there's nothing usual about it, including the journal where it appears.
Back in December, our own Nate Anderson drove me to the bottle with a flurry of questions about cryptozoology. One of the big motivators of Nate's interest in sasquatch was a report that a Texas group had sequenced the creature's genome. Not surprisingly, the team behind this startling research had some trouble publishing a paper describing their results.
By all appearances, they've solved that problem... by establishing a brand new journal, called De Novo (I'm not kidding; they apparently bought an existing journal and renamed it). The journal's site appears to be a mix of clip art and some basic HTML. Though it claims to be "open access," the site actually charges $30 to see the bigfoot paper (although their press person was kind enough to provide Ars with a free copy). Payment requires a Google Wallet account.
Currently, the sasquatch genome report is all you can see. It's the only paper in Volume 1, Issue 1 of De Novo.
Running the data

Normally, publishers require genetic sequences to be submitted to a public database before a paper's publication, but there's a slight hitch here: the big public database requires a species identification, and sasquatch isn't officially a species. While the research team works on sorting out the species issues, it has provisionally settled on Homo sapiens cognatus. Some of the sequence data from the alleged bigfoot is available as downloadable supplements.
We're currently working with someone who has relevant genomics experience to do an analysis on those sequences, but much of the paper speaks for itself—and it says some very strange things. Figures in the paper show everything from iconic large footprints to old engravings of mythical ape-like creatures. There's even a photo of what seems to be a very shaggy carpet sleeping in the woods (with an embedded video, naturally).
The included clip of something shaggy in the woods.
Sasquatch Genome Project
The researchers (primarily a mix of forensics experts) have been collecting alleged bigfoot samples for years, accepting submissions from across North America. These include everything from stray hairs to clumps of fur with flesh attached to a pool of blood (collected after—wait for it—a sasquatch chewed on a pipe).
The team used fairly standard forensic techniques on these items: minimize contamination, gather the DNA of those who collected the samples, then ship everything out to contract facilities for analysis, with a large variety of tests being performed.
At this point, we get into some actual biology with enough details to analyze. And the details appear to point in the exact opposite direction of the authors' conclusions that bigfoot represents a recent hybridization between modern humans and an unknown species of primate.
To begin with, the mitochondrial DNA of the samples (when it can be isolated) clusters with that of modern humans. That isn't itself a problem if we assume that those doing the interbreeding were human females, but the DNA sequences come from a variety of different humans—16 in total. And most of these were "European or Middle Eastern in origin" with a few "African and American Indian haplotypes." Given the timing of the interbreeding, we should only be seeing Native American sequences here. The authors speculate that some humans may have walked across the ice through Greenland during the last glaciation, but there's absolutely no evidence for that. The best explanation here is contamination.
As far as the nuclear genome is concerned, the results are a mess. Sometimes the tests picked up human DNA. Other times, they didn't. Sometimes the tests failed entirely. The products of the DNA amplifications performed on the samples look about like what you'd expect when the reaction didn't amplify the intended sequence. And electron micrographs of the DNA isolated from these samples show patches of double- and single-stranded DNA intermixed. This is what you might expect if two distantly related species had their DNA mixed—the protein-coding sequences would hybridize, and the intervening sections wouldn't. All of this suggests modern human DNA intermingled with some other contaminant.
The authors' description of the sequence suggests that it's human DNA interspersed with sequence from some other primate—hence the interbreeding idea. But the best way to analyze this would be to isolate the individual segments of non-human DNA and see what species those best align with. If the authors have done that, they don't say. They also don't mention how long the typical segment of non-human DNA is. Assuming interbreeding took place as the authors surmise, these segments should be quite long, since there hasn't been that much time to recombine. The fact that the authors don't mention this at all is pretty problematic.
It's impossible to say anything for certain until we can get the sequences analyzed; hopefully, we'll have an update on that before the week is out. At the moment, though, all indications suggest that the sasquatch hunters are working on a mix of human DNA intermingled with that of some other (or several other) mammals.

BlastTyrant

I can truly say that even if it was proved 100% with-out-a-doubt no one would believe it, the only way people will believe is when one is caught or when the body of one is found,

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I can truly say that even if it was proved 100% with-out-a-doubt no one would believe it, the only way people will believe is when one is caught or when the body of one is found,

It hasn't happened yet. Probably because they are smarter than we are. Probably the only reason we occasionally see them is because they are playing a game with us.