Brain-Eating Amoeba Linked to Warm Water Kills California Woman

Wind7

Staff
'Great as a repellent against the brain-eating zombie faction..However, the side effects
have yet to be approved by the FDA.' ;) (J/K)

Okay..all kidding aside, Naegleria fowleri (Brain eating amoeba) is really not a joking matter.

Back when this organism was discovered, it kept a great many people from
having a swim in fresh water lakes for fear of dying!
I live next to a lake and I remember the gossip very well about this thing.
It actually caused a short lived panic.

Brain-Eating Amoeba (Naegleria Fowleri): Causes and Symptoms

This is a trusted medical site giving more detailed information about the parasite.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
There seems to be at least one reported case of this a year. Don't swim in ponds and small lakes. Keep your kids out of puddles. Not worth the risk.

Wind7

Staff
There seems to be at least one reported case of this a year. Don't swim in ponds and small lakes. Keep your kids out of puddles. Not worth the risk.

A snippet from the Web MD link;

"Studies show that many people may have antibodies to N. fowleri. That suggests that they became infected with the amoeba but that their immune systems fought it off.

It's not at all clear whether N. fowleri is a rare infection that always causes PAM and is almost always fatal, or a more common infection that only sometimes causes PAM.

In a 2009 study, CDC researchers suggested that the common finding of antibodies to the amoeba in humans and the frequent finding of N. fowleri in U.S. waters indicates "that exposure to the amoeba is much more common than the incidence of PAM suggests."

Could be more common than thought of.

I dunno why that scares me just a little.....o_0