Bullying victim wins court case forcing Facebook to unmask anonymous tormentors

Samstwitch

BUSTED! Cyber-bullys are held accountable.:rolleyes:

Bullying victim wins court case forcing Facebook to unmask anonymous tormentors

June 8, 2012 - When Nicola Brookes posted a message of support on Facebook about her favorite contestant on The X Factor talent competition, she found herself the victim of incessant and constant torment from anonymous cyberbullies. But rather than take the abuse sitting down, Brookes decided to fight, taking her assailants to court. And she won.

In her suit, Brookes claimed to have been the victim of a number of slanderous, malicious attacks. Her attackers created a page on the social network that branded the Brighton, U.K. woman as a drug dealer and a pedophile. The court ruled that Facebook must turn over the names, email addresses, and IP information of the trolls who tormented her.

For its part, Facebook is not expected to fight the court order. The company will comply as soon as it is officially served papers by the court, explaining in a statement that, "we respect our legal obligations and work with law enforcement to ensure that such people are brought to justice."
Brooks, who filed the suit after having trouble getting the police to take her problems seriously, appears to be satisfied with the court's ruling. "I want them exposed," said Brookes. "They exposed me and they invaded my life. I didn't ask for it. They wanted a reaction from me and now they have got it."

This is not the first court case involving a victim suing a cyberbully — a Georgia teenager filed a lawsuit against her Facebook attackers after the girl's school and police failed to help. Previous courts here in the U.S. have similarly stripped internet users of their anonymity in response to criminal threats.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
People think they can just hide behind an anonymous account and insult other people as much as they want. It's a good thing they got to unmask them and that justice was made.

That makes me think of some kids making fun of people at school. Bullying is a serious disease nowadays. I remember back then at school, some kids used to mess with me now and then, but it never became so serious that I wouldn't want to go at school and such. Okay, maybe it did, but everything always came back to normal after a short time.

Today, it's another story. I hear about school bullying cases on TV all the time, kids getting tormented and bullied while teachers aren't doing anything to prevent it. Nothing. Then at home, it continues on Facebook. It seems it never ends.

It's so easy to hide behind a username.