Causes of orbs and anomalies in "ghost" photos

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Many (not all) supposed "ghost" photos, unfortunately, can be explained. I personally do not believe orbs
are ghosts.

Here are some causes of orbs in photographs:

- internal reflections of the flash or other light sources on the camera lens

- fine mist on the light sensor of the camera

- illuminated particles in the air

- digital cameras with a focal length of 5mm to 10mm and an attached flash that is close to the lens

- illuminated insects in the air

- water droplets, dust, hair on or near the camera lens

- sometimes digital cameras interpret a particle wrong and create an orb anomaly

Faces:

Pixelization is caused by digital cameras as well. A lot of faces that aren't clear could be a figment of our imagination because our brains tend to create patterns out of chaos. It is natural for our brains to create a face in these patterns.

Does anyone else have any "causes" to share?

LisaTiffany

As a photographer I mainly only believe the orbs I see outside of the viewfinder, it does happen that I see them off camera with my eyes and just think well there goes a spirit but when it's in pictures I'm a little wary. Dust is the main culprit, I was shooting in a rockbar recently and it was in the basement, so many orbs on the camera but when it wrapped up I sat and meditated and picked up nothing. There is an interesting book on orbs *checks collection* ..ah it's "Ascension Through Orbs by Diana Cooper" My boyfriend had a bunch of them fly around the room the other night and my moms house has two distinct ones that go through the hall and appear in a lot of family photo's, I'm going home in about a week so if I see any I'll hopefully have my new EMF detector with me, the last one broke from a very small fall. It wasn't great anyways, you had to be right beside something to pick it up. :)

The thing with orbs and spirits in general is you have to be shooting quite fast to get them so the longer the shutter is open the less chance you have of catching them and the problem there is that you need to use a decent slr camera that handles a very fast ISO. I have to use cameras like that for concerts because you need sharp fast shots of say a musician off the ground but if the cameras ISO isn't advanced enough you get a lot of noise. A lot of the old film cameras would have been using a fairly standard speed film that would have a good enough ISO naturally built into it so you would see orbs a lot more, now with digital especially if people are using Auto they aren't shooting fast enough to catch them, same with spirits.

Last edited:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
As a photographer I mainly only believe the orbs I see outside of the viewfinder, it does happen that I see them off camera with my eyes

Lucky lady. I haven't seen a spirit with my eyes as of yet. And as for orbs, a great way to explain to beginners is to tell them shoot some night shots with a flash on a foggy or sprinkling night and they will see hundreds.

Another good way to debunk anomolies is to try to recreate the photo in the same conditions. I posted my own "ghost" photo in another thread. I've gone back to St. Augustine many times and have been unable to recreate the photo. I tried.

The thing with orbs and spirits in general is you have to be shooting quite fast to get them so the longer the shutter is open the less chance you have of catching

Agreed, and night mode keeps that shutter open longer sometimes creating streaks in the photo, which can also be mistaken for entities.