Cern and the LHC

Sue

Predictions on what will happen when we collide the Higgs Boson together at a higher rate of speed?

Predictions on the next big thing to come from Cern?

My prediction is "mini black holes"

Anti-matter homeopathy

(and I don't mean the modern American understanding of homeopathy as being any old alternative medicine or type of massage. I'm talking about the nearly infinite dilution of substances in water as a form of medicine.)

Harte

Higgs Bosons are not being accelerated at Cern. They are being detected by smashing protons together, which is the type of particle the LHC actually is accelerating to smash together.

The Higgs, having no charge, cannot be electromagnetically accelerated, and thus cannot be smashed together by any apparatus at CERN.

Harte

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Higgs Bosons are not being accelerated at Cern. They are being detected by smashing protons together, which is the type of particle the LHC actually is accelerating to smash together.

The Higgs, having no charge, cannot be electromagnetically accelerated, and thus cannot be smashed together by any apparatus at CERN.

Harte

Stupid question. What is the desired effect of smashing them together?

Harte

When you smash particles (that have mass) together, you create, for nanoseconds, other particles that can only exist at high energies - some of them new, previously unseen, particles. These particles can be analyzed by the way the react in an electromagnetic field.

Harte

Ayasano

As far as the desired effect goes, it's pretty much just to learn about the universe and discover new questions we can ask. The research doesn't have any directly applicable results afaik, but it can point us in the direction of research that does, as is usually the case with new(ish) theories.