Consciousness

Anders

Consciousness

Everyone spends so much time discussing the "how was it done?" questions that no one seems curious about the fact that we are able to ask such questions at all. Is it just evolutionary inertia that results in our being able to consider such things? Is consciousness an end result of evolution or is it evidence of design? I have no hard answers for this question, just opinions. The fact that I have opinions makes me think that in some sense we are more than the sum of our parts, more than eight dollars worth of chemicals that got lucky at some point in the distant past. Is this a subject worth discussing?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Re: Consciousness

So does that mean that every living thing on earth will evolve to the point where the are conscious and able to ask these kind of questions, or is it just for us humans?

shane

So does that mean that every living thing on earth will evolve to the point where the are conscious and able to ask these kind of questions, or is it just for us humans?

You are limiting yourself by making the autocentric assumption that, presently, your species are the sole keeper's of consciousness in this world. Fire is not a thing that can be held in the hand, for it spreads to fill the spaces where it may find life.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Well there's a couple other animals I believe are "self aware" if that's even the same thing. Dolphins and maybe even dogs? But that's probably stretching it... Or not LOL. Can you tell me more about this kind of thing?

Anders

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"TheHeggy\")</div>
Well there's a couple other animals I believe are \"self aware\" if that's even the same thing. Dolphins and maybe even dogs? But that's probably stretching it... Or not LOL. Can you tell me more about this kind of thing?[/b]

While dogs and dolphins may display personality and, simply by vitue of being alive are aware of themselves, I doubt it's on the same order as human self-awareness. I doubt that dogs and dolphins think about their thinking, introspect and develop neuroses, though abused animals might mimic neurotic behavior from conditioning.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"shane\")</div>
You are limiting yourself by making the autocentric assumption that, presently, your species are the sole keeper's of consciousness in this world. Fire is not a thing that can be held in the hand, for it spreads to fill the spaces where it may find life.[/b]

I think Shane has got something here. Consciousness may have many levels, I think it's short-sighted to say that only Man has self-awareness. I think everything alive may have at least a little self-awareness. It would solve the "problem" of where our consciousness comes from.

Harte

Buggy

And that is the million dollar question. How can we tell if other "living beings" are aware?

How can we tell what a dog or dolphin is thinking? How can we tell what anything or anyone is thinking? And if we could how much would our world change?

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"TheHeggy\")</div>
People might think twice about eating meat LOL[/b]

Don't see why. Meat don't think twice about eating me.
Harte

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Harte\")</div>
I think Shane has got something here. Consciousness may have many levels, I think it's short-sighted to say that only Man has self-awareness. I think everything alive may have at least a little self-awareness. It would solve the \"problem\" of where our consciousness comes from.

Harte[/b]

Agreed. Once man has found the ability to comunicate(that scientists can trust) with Dolphins, (they are getting close) Whales, Dogs, Cats, Horses and Parrots I would wager much will change in the interaction department. Too bad Dr. Dolittle retired.