Controversial US scientist creates deadly new flu strain for pandemic research

Num7

Administrator
Staff
A controversial scientist who carried out provocative research on making influenza viruses more infectious has completed his most dangerous experiment to date by deliberately creating a pandemic strain of flu that can evade the human immune system.

Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Wisconsin-Madison has genetically manipulated the 2009 strain of pandemic flu in order for it to “escape” the control of the immune system’s neutralizing antibodies, effectively making the human population defenseless against its reemergence.

Most of the world today has developed some level of immunity to the 2009 pandemic flu virus, which means that it can now be treated as less dangerous “seasonal flu”. However, The Independent understands that Professor Kawaoka intentionally set out to see if it was possible to convert it to a pre-pandemic state in order to analyze the genetic changes involved.

Source: Exclusive: Controversial US scientist creates deadly new flu strain for pandemic research - Science - News - The Independent

Num7

Administrator
Staff
What a great idea. Let's hope this virus never get out of his lab.

TnWatchdog

Isn't that what caused the Walking Dead? Someone keeps playing around with pandemic type material and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy...it's out of the lab and on the loose but sorry...we haven't come up with the cure yet.

gonzogirl

A controversial scientist who carried out provocative research on making influenza viruses more infectious has completed his most dangerous experiment to date by deliberately creating a pandemic strain of flu that can evade the human immune system.

Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Wisconsin-Madison has genetically manipulated the 2009 strain of pandemic flu in order for it to “escape” the control of the immune system’s neutralizing antibodies, effectively making the human population defenseless against its reemergence.

Most of the world today has developed some level of immunity to the 2009 pandemic flu virus, which means that it can now be treated as less dangerous “seasonal flu”. However, The Independent understands that Professor Kawaoka intentionally set out to see if it was possible to convert it to a pre-pandemic state in order to analyze the genetic changes involved.

Source: Exclusive: Controversial US scientist creates deadly new flu strain for pandemic research - Science - News - The Independent
This is just amazing science! I have always felt that some kind of super flu would wipe us out or at least 80% of us...We always seem to be one step ahead thanks to science :)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
The government/military will get a hold of it. It can be used as a biological weapon either against a perceived enemy or its own citizens.

walt willis

If it has weapon potential then our military wants it!

It has been about three years now that a friend working in a government Boi lab warn me of an incident where we recovered puss from about seventy dead bodies over seas.

I was told it was a cocktail virus mix with a smallpox base and emboli that our lab brought back to study.

Sure... just to study and not find a way to weaponries the black death...That was the name given as a starting point.

The friend was very worried that our government would plan to use it in the FEMA camps after the economy fails.

The friend is a high level tech working on boi weapons in a place I will not say.

By now they could have made a large stock pile of the nasty stuff.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
If it has weapon potential then our military wants it!

It has been about three years now that a friend working in a government Boi lab warn me of an incident where we recovered puss from about seventy dead bodies over seas.

I was told it was a cocktail virus mix with a smallpox base and emboli that our lab brought back to study.

Sure... just to study and not find a way to weaponries the black death...That was the name given as a starting point.

The friend was very worried that our government would plan to use it in the FEMA camps after the economy fails.

The friend is a high level tech working on boi weapons in a place I will not say.

By now they could have made a large stock pile of the nasty stuff.

What are Boi weapons and a Boi lab?