Cutting/Drilling Plexiglas

Doc 05

Zenith
Hey; I'm looking at those cheap Plexiglas (?) photo frames for making covers for "rubbing plates" coils.
I'm thinking that a clear covering would show off the design of the underlying coil.

Does anyone have experience or hints for cutting/drilling this material?

Thanks

steven chiverton

clear sheets of acrylic is ok but i put my rubbing coil into a sliced of ring section of a pvc pipe and put the coil in it and fill it with araldite it dries clear even a 2 part epoxy resign, if you choose. if you want to cut a round peace of clear acrylic use a hole saw the using a smaller hole saw cut the middel out so your left with a ring to epoxy your coil into it, if you use a pvc ring section cut from a pvc pipe put you coil in it fill it with araldite or resin even a 2 part resign that dries clear and when dried cut the pvc down the side and peel it out so your left with a clear resign side with your rubbing coil in it if you want a clear acylic top you can see the coil through it cut a peace of clear acrylic ring glue it to the bottom of a clear acrylic sheet and put the coil in it and fill it with clear drying acrylic

Last edited:

steven chiverton

heres what jaycar electronics has and you can get even red color to just peel the brown paper off the back and front and you have a clear sheet to work with

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Hey; I'm looking at those cheap Plexiglas (?) photo frames for making covers for "rubbing plates" coils.
I'm thinking that a clear covering would show off the design of the underlying coil.

Thanks

I have some info that may help a bit. When drilling through plastic use very low drilling speeds. If the speed is too fast the drill bit will melt the plastic.

I've found that the material you use for the rubbing plate may affect the functionality of the rubbing plate. I made a Tesla coil one time using ABS plastic pipe. It didn't work. It appears some plastics will block the transmission of electric fields. Gibbs used phenolic resin cases with his HDR's. So maybe a clear resin based plastic would be a best choice to use. I believe I've seen him substitute resin based PC boards in some projects from his reports.

lamdo263

Thanks
Watch current produced by such materials. May change your electrical values of this project?