Death Comes in 3s

Wee

I've worked in healthcare for 13 years now, eight of those years in an ICU. I've witnessed many things that have amazed me. One phenomena I never gave to much thought to is the nurses prediction of 3.

My first experience of this was my first clinical job as a tech in an ICU. It was 2 am Christmas morning. I had a real sick patient with a bad pneumonia.. I helped the nurse role him on his side, and boom, his heart rate bottomed out. We coded him for an hour until the physician determined him dead. 2 more patients proceeded to follow his lead within a 5 hour time span. We worked our asses off that night. Having to tell 3 families their loved one died on Christmas morning is heart breaking. Before I left a nurse patted me on the back and said "They always come in 3s"

I didn't realize how true that statement was until it happened within my family. It started with a family friend, who died suddenly in pneumonia in November of 2012. My dog followed in February 2013. In March 2013, my grandmother fell down her porch steps and died of an inoperable bleed to the brain.

After 8 years working in an inpatient setting where people die everyday, I can assure you, They do come in 3s.

What is this phenomena? Does anyone else have any experience with it?

Snake Plissken

I believe..
Zenith
Wow! Scary stuff.
Could be coincidence but if it happens regularly. Weird!

TnWatchdog

Years and years ago...I remember my grandmother telling me this and it seemed to happen at various times in my life. Maybe going thru grief at one period of time for three is better than getting over one, then another, and another...who knows, that is why I drink on Friday nights.
It seems that a lot of people are dying lately, which is bothersome to me.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
I've worked in healthcare for 13 years now, eight of those years in an ICU. I've witnessed many things that have amazed me. One phenomena I never gave to much thought to is the nurses prediction of 3.

My first experience of this was my first clinical job as a tech in an ICU. It was 2 am Christmas morning. I had a real sick patient with a bad pneumonia.. I helped the nurse role him on his side, and boom, his heart rate bottomed out. We coded him for an hour until the physician determined him dead. 2 more patients proceeded to follow his lead within a 5 hour time span. We worked our asses off that night. Having to tell 3 families their loved one died on Christmas morning is heart breaking. Before I left a nurse patted me on the back and said "They always come in 3s"

I didn't realize how true that statement was until it happened within my family. It started with a family friend, who died suddenly in pneumonia in November of 2012. My dog followed in February 2013. In March 2013, my grandmother fell down her porch steps and died of an inoperable bleed to the brain.

After 8 years working in an inpatient setting where people die everyday, I can assure you, They do come in 3s.

Almost all events come in 3's

Wee

Almost all events come in 3's

But why is that?

Itheblaze

I know a place like that. Someone cleared a space and put a trailer on it. Within a year it burnt down. It was sold and new people put up a house. Before the year was up, it burnt down. No one has dared to try a thrid house. I wonder if it's a natural law or something. Good luck doesn't seem to run in 3s though. I've found you're born lucky.