Discovery of Distant Black Hole Jet

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
"Astronomers have used NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory to discover a jet from a very distant supermassive black hole being illuminated by the oldest light in the Universe. This discovery shows that black holes with powerful jets may be more common than previously thought in the first few billion years after the Big Bang."

Glow from the Big Bang Allows Discovery of Distant Black Hole Jet

How are they so sure that is the oldest light source?

Martian

I think they're referring to the cosmic background radiation, which is theorized to be left over from the big bang. I personally don't agree with the big bang theory, but that's another matter. :rolleyes:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I think they're referring to the cosmic background radiation, which is theorized to be left over from the big bang. I personally don't agree with the big bang theory, but that's another matter. :rolleyes:

Ok, THAT big bang, but assuming the unverse is infinite, there could have been another big bang, perhaps an older one. A previous one. What if this were the fifth?

Martian

Ok, THAT big bang, but assuming the unverse is infinite, there could have been another big bang, perhaps an older one. A previous one. What if this were the fifth?
I don't think anyone really knows for sure. :p

Last edited: