Do You Fear 2012 ?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
When I hear people talking about 2012, ordinary people, I sometimes notice that many of them fear that something might actually happen. End of the world, something bad, pole shifts, etc. No one knows. Everybody just say that it's so big and that since everybody talks about it all the time, there must be something coming. They don't always understand things as they are, like Mayan calendars, pole shifts, galactic equator or any other obscure concept related to 2012 and other doomsday scenarios. It's just about a very pronounced interest that seems to exist for 2012 that makes everyone talk about it.

Most ordinary people don't believe in ETs, aliens, time travel or psychic abilities. They merely know that these things might ...maybe... exist, that they all are ...maybe... possible, but they probably never experienced anything serious or noticeable, nor did they study these subjects seriously in their lifetime. But, these people happen to talk about 2012 and I perceive they might fear that something's coming.

How do you feel about 2012 ? Is it going to be Y2K episode 2, in other words, a non-event ? Is it going to be the end of the world, the rapture and such ? Are we all going to die, are we all going to evolve to a higher form, or ... both ?

Let us know what you think.

--Numenorean7

Harte

I'll probably start my Christmas shopping that day so, yeah, I fear it.

Harte

ZeoEmeraude

Dirk fears nothing.......He must slay the dragon and rescue the princess.

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Is there anything to fear?

I thunked that the South American Indian types has just stopped doing that calendar of theirs as they had like 5 or 600 years on it. Not like they needed to run to 1 or 2000 now is it?

I do 'post-it' notes for myself up to 7 days ahead. I never fear what might happen on the 8th day though.

Hang-on! If I stop doing my 'post-it' notes, will the world end in 8 days?

JEHOSHEPHAT!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Is there anything to fear?

People are likely afraid to be afraid.

I asked some people once what they were thinking about 2012, if their feared it and such. People keep saying they fear it a bit, they are unsure, but whatever they say, they never know what they may fear about 2012. Do they fear the end of the world ? No idea, they just don't know.

Being afraid to be afraid, does that make sense ?

thedude

I fear 2012 as much as I fear change I guess. I don't really fear change but I do hope it is for the better. I get the idea sometimes that 2012 is pivotal moment in society and can be for the better or worse. Like the climax of a movie or something like that. With what goes on around the world I hope we all get our heads out of our a's pretty soon. War or peace is on the line I think and I've never felt like war does anything but continue the issues. Maybe we will get more enlightened in the next year or so like they with the coming of the new age.

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Being afraid to be afraid, does that make sense ?

Yeah, it does. It's a paradoxical fear that some people exhibit a tendancy toward. People can be afraid of being afraid and will avoid such situations. It's not cowardice, it's almost phobic, in fact there is such a phobia... phobophobia. To some, this is the most debilitating of fears as they can quite literally be afraid of everything and I do mean everything. I've seen a catatonic PP's and also a few bi-polar PP's.

So, I suppose being afraid of a date is as legitimate as being afraid of a spider.

Harte

Yeah, it does. It's a paradoxical fear that some people exhibit a tendancy toward. People can be afraid of being afraid and will avoid such situations.
Some people, maybe, but not me.

I'm not afraid of being afraid.

I'm afraid of being afraid of being afraid!

Harte

Cherish1972

I'm not sure how I feel. A part of me is scared a little but another part says there is nothing I can do about it so why worry. I keep telling myself it's the whole Y2K thing all over again.

Much ado about nothing.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yup, I don't feel like it's going to be the end of the world and I definitely don't want to worry about it.

I understand what you mean, if something actually happens, there's nothing we can do about it. We don't control the end of the world, or any other "thing" that might happen.