Dr. Jack Kevorkian AKA Dr. Death

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
As I was reading through the debates on alternative medicine,I got to thinking about old Jack Kevorkian...
Many of you probably know, Dr. Kevorkian was best known for his crusade in assisting terminally ill patients in suicide...He even invented a "suicide machine", which allowed the patient to press the button that administers the dose of the lethal drug, similar to having a pet "put to sleep". Kevorkian always documented these physician-assisted suicides on film, making sure 100% that it's the patient's will to die...

Over the years, Kevorkian took part in at least 130 assisted suicides..He lost his medical license and was even convicted of second-degree murder. He served 8 years in prison before being released on parole. He died June 3, 2011 of complications due to liver cancer.

Kevorkians arguments included that his work was merely euthanasia, mercy killings. If you're in a coma and the only thing keeping you alive is machines, the doctors as well as any family members can decide whether to "pull the plug", without the patient's consent or even knowledge...In Kevorkian's case, these patients were terminal, in pain, and wanting to die as not to suffer anymore...

Do you think what Dr.Kevorkian did was right? Do terminally ill patients have the right to die?

Last edited by a moderator:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Definitely!

And also the people in the medical community that think otherwise should be executed for their crimes of inhumane denial to those terminally ill patients.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
Sorry, this one typo is driving me nuts and the edit function won't let me change it...
The suicide machine allows the patient to press the button that administers** the lethal drug.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I don't necessarily agree with suicide, but then again I've never been given a specific expiration, and thankfully I've never been in excrutiating, constant pain..Those factors may very well sway my decision...
I do think Dr.Kevorkian should have been commended for his work, and the issue of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide should be taken seriously and brought into practice under certain circumstances...

Ayasano

I would say anyone has a "right to die", although I think in non-terminal patients it should be a last resort, and perhaps even terminal patients if there is a potential cure undergoing trials, for example. (Last resort meaning from a patient's view, not a doctor's) That's a product of my own view on what happens after death though.

As for whether a doctor should be allowed to assist with fulfilling that right, I think that's a bit more of a complex issue. For example, should it be an option for hospital-bound non-terminal patients in severe pain? (ie. who wouldn't be able to do it on their own, but would survive in pain otherwise) I don't know the answer to that. Perhaps it just has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

I'm hesitant to say a doctor should always comply with a terminal patient's request for suicide, eg. in cases where severe mental illness is involved. Is the patient capable of understanding the choice they're making? If they're Christian, for example, that choice could have severe consequences for them. (Suicide being a mortal sin in Christianity, leading to eternal damnation)

I think it should be an option capable of being discussed though. There should certainly be a stricter process than simply pulling a plug, so as to avoid abuse of the system.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I agree, I don't think it's a decision to be taken lightly of course...I believe Kevorkian would try to talk the patients out of the suicide before going through with it, but that is a bit like someone telling you not to drink while pouring you a shot, lol...
And in one case, Kevorkian did administer the lethal dose to one patient himself because the patient cpuldn:t physically do it himself..I think that was the "final straw" before he was convicted of murder in the second degree...
I think Kevorkian's practices should be considered, why is it okay to turn off a machine that's keeping someone alive without the patient's consent in most cases (unless a DNR has been signed), but Jack assisted in their suicide and gets prosecuted? There are blurred lines as to what's legal and what isn't...
Certainly this option should be a last resort, and numerous factors should be considered...Mental illness should be ruled out, and only those with no quality of life, who fully understand any consequences are the one's who should be considered...

Ayasano

I think Kevorkian's practices should be considered, why is it okay to turn off a machine that's keeping someone alive without the patient's consent in most cases (unless a DNR has been signed), but Jack assisted in their suicide and gets prosecuted?

I think most people would agree that it's not right to turn off life support machines in non-brain-dead patients, but until we reach a point where resource scarcity is no longer an issue and we effectively eliminate money, we have to prioritize resources for the people who have a higher chance of survival at some point. It's not pretty, but it's the lesser of two evils.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I think Kevorkian's practices should be considered, why is it okay to turn off a machine that's keeping someone alive without the patient's consent in most cases (unless a DNR has been signed), but Jack assisted in their suicide and gets prosecuted?

I think most people would agree that it's not right to turn off life support machines in non-brain-dead patients, but until we reach a point where resource scarcity is no longer an issue and we effectively eliminate money, we have to prioritize resources for the people who have a higher chance of survival at some point. It's not pretty, but it's the lesser of two evils.
Oh, I forgot to add that.. I know they need to make that decision because of the money and resources to keep someone alive...Thanks for your input! :)

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I was watching the news last night, and I came across the story of Brittany Maynard..Has anyone else heard about it? She was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, and was given a short time to live...She instead chose to end her life before it caused her more pain and suffering...
The kick is, the doctors prescribed herthe lethal drugs to ingest whenever she was ready.. :eek: Apparently this is legal in Oregon, as well as 4 other staes in the U.S. "Dying with Dignity" is what the act is called... I can't believe I'm finding this out after writing this thread...It seems Jack Kevorkian's legacy lives on!

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Yes, I read about that. It's too bad she didn't seek a cure outside the medical community. There are plenty of outlawed treatment options available that could have successfully dissolved her tumor.