Earth Might Become Unlivable By 2100

Num7

Administrator
Staff
A new study has revealed that global warming is increasing at an alarming rate which might result into intense droughts. If not much was done to minimize the rapid increase in global warning, the earth might become unlivable by 2050 or 2100.

“The global warming that was previously predicted to occur within 2,000 years, is now predicted to occur within the lifetimes of some people who are alive even today,” wrote Dahr Jamail at Opednews.com.

In the last decade, because of global warming, the Greenland ice discharge has increased 632% and the snow cover in Northern hemisphere has already decreased by more than 50% since 1962.

Statistics show that the three most important global warming gases - Carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide since 1750 have increased to levels higher than they have been in 800,000 years.

Further worse, a new report by Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) that combined works of 2,000 scientists from 154 countries has also confirmed and strengthened the previous predictions. The report pointed that even 100 percent emissions reductions will no longer keep our climate from changing dangerously.

Source:
Earth Might Become Unlivable By 2100 : News : Counsel & Heal

TnWatchdog

The thought of the earth becoming unlivable by the year 2100 may force me to jump off a cliff. Actually I saw a show about all the glaciers that were melting due to global warming. This will cause big problems due to the fact that many people depend on glaciers for their source of fresh water.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm wondering what kind of sea level change the complete melting of Antarctica's ice caps would create. There's a lot of ice in there. A lot.

Khaos

where the wild things are
The thought of the earth becoming unlivable by the year 2100 may force me to jump off a cliff. Actually I saw a show about all the glaciers that were melting due to global warming. This will cause big problems due to the fact that many people depend on glaciers for their source of fresh water.

You wont be alive by the year 2100, so why worry? :p

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm not quite sure how high seas would rise after 100% of ices caps are completely melted. Water World scenario?

I've heard some people say that it wouldn't change a thing. I agree that the sea levels would rise, but how much, I'm absolutely not sure. The same goes for a scenario involving tectonic plates.

Justinian

What kind of scenario involving the tectonic plates? Like if they just collapsed and fell into the molten layer underneath them? That would be insane!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, a scenario similar to what is depicted in the movie 2012. Major turmoil all round the globe with continents shifting and going down the sea, sort of. It's totally unpredictable.

Khaos

where the wild things are
I'm not quite sure how high seas would rise after 100% of ices caps are completely melted. Water World scenario?

I've heard some people say that it wouldn't change a thing. I agree that the sea levels would rise, but how much, I'm absolutely not sure. The same goes for a scenario involving tectonic plates.

Water World? No way. Considering 70% of the earth is covered by water, most of it being the oceans, the two polar ice caps (Arctic and Antarctic) melting wouldn't be significant enough to cover the entire planet in water. You also have to take into account mountain ranges. Sure we had that movie Water World with Kevin Costner a couple decades ago, but that movie has so many science misconceptions that its a good thing its "science fiction"

Rising Seas - Interactive: If All The Ice Melted

(i think the map was already posted here at some point)