European court rules against bare metal

MartinezDeMedio

A bare metal buyer is someone who buys a computer or device with no operating system installed. In 08 a man in France bought a PC and politely asked the company to reimburse him the amount that the operating system is worth. At the time it was windows vista and it was worth about $700. The court denied his request so he appealed a few times. Finally the court has firmly ruled that it is not the companies obligation to sell a consumer a PC without an OS. So if all the computer companies in the world got together and decided not to sell bare metal, that would be totally lawful, in Europe at least. The man himself in my opinion was in the wrong. Mainly because when they offered to give him a full refund in exchange for the PC he refused and counter sued for "damages" probably because he broke his new pc, trying to install Linux. Lol! However I would not like to see a similar ruling in the us. I myself am a bare metal and a retro buyer. I like to create my own code. I've never succeeded in coding an entire OS but I would like the freedom to try. It would be sad if microsoft and apple along with the court ruling prevented us from doing that, legally. What do you guys think? Pro metal or no metal?