European Union Bans Incandescent Light Bulbs

Num7

Administrator
Staff

October 11th, 2008
EU energy ministers meeting last week in Luxembourg have given final approval to an EU-wide ban on incandescent light bulbs that would begin in 2010. The switch to energy-saving bulbs, first ordered at last year?s Brussels summit as part of an aggressive energy policy to fight climate change, was approved at the negotiations leading up to a meeting of European heads of state, being held next week.

Traditional incandescent cost around 1/3 as much as standard compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs). But the CFLs last longer and use less energy while illuminated. Incandescent filament light bulbs use up to five times as much energy as standard CFLs.

Advocates claim that replacing the worst-performing lamps with today?s best available technology will reduce domestic energy consumption for lighting by 60 percent; equivalent to preventing 30 million tons of CO2 pollution every year. The move would help EU member states meet their proposed emissions reductions of 20% by 2020, targets that may currently be in question because of the lingering economic crisis.

Not everyone is enthusiastic about switch the CFL technology. Opponents to the measure argue that the fluorescent bulbs take a long time to warm up and sometimes have a tendency to flicker. The bulbs are also too big for some (very) old-fashioned fittings and are generally more expensive - although the EU has vowed costs will come down before 2010. CFLs also carry the added baggage of potential health risks and environmental problems because of the mercury found in each bulb.

However, all of the arguments used against compact fluorescents cannot be levied against LED technology. Light emitting diodes, are said to be brighter, safer, and longer lasting than even the best CFL technology. However, until the cost of LEDs comes down, a large-scale switchover to that technology remains several years away. But with directives like this latest one from the EU, it is quite likely that the price of LEDs will come down as businesses ramp-up development and production.

The new light bulb scheme will initially apply to bulbs of 75 watts and higher and the phasing out of the traditional bulbs will come into effect beginning March 1, 2009.
Red, Green and Blue

kcwildman

Beastmaster
Re: European Union Bans Incandescent Light Bulbs

good find there 7
coming to a sheriff near you, mam I am here to check your carbon footprint . mam you have 12 lites in your home and not 1 of the energy saving flor. bulbs. please sign this citation, your court date is next week. bring lots of money

Whitelight

Bullied into saving the planet!

kcwildman

Beastmaster

I don't have any prob. with true tech advances. driven by market demand.
I do have a prob. with do it or ells, cause I said so, kinda stuff

jurgen36

The biggest problem is getting rid of broken lights. The cleanup can be very costly due to the mercury contend of the bulbs. Costly and at the same time almost impossible. The mercury vapors can cause irreversible health problems, at least accordingly to the environmental protection agencies. I do believe that like usual, the greenies did not think enough to follow the matter to its unpleasant conclusion. I honestly do believe that if all the greenies are locked up and put away the earth would have less problems. Most of the time if they try to interfere they cause greater problems as the original ones. All this seem to proof again that politicians seem to be complete idiots and do not really investigate the issue before they pass new laws.
Regards

Num7

Administrator
Staff

jurgen36 said:
The biggest problem is getting rid of broken lights. The cleanup can be very costly due to the mercury contend of the bulbs. Costly and at the same time almost impossible. The mercury vapors can cause irreversible health problems, at least accordingly to the environmental protection agencies. I do believe that like usual, the greenies did not think enough to follow the matter to its unpleasant conclusion. I honestly do believe that if all the greenies are locked up and put away the earth would have less problems. Most of the time if they try to interfere they cause greater problems as the original ones. All this seem to proof again that politicians seem to be complete idiots and do not really investigate the issue before they pass new laws.
Regards
Yeah, most people I know talk about this side of the medal. Perhaps they'll find some new way to get rid of the broken light bulbs. As ever, there are always new problems with new advances and new technologies.

gonzogirl

OK. The flourescent bulbs make me feel "crazy" Always have...I wonder what the deal is on those..I cant use them...What I have noticed is that if they are way, way up high its not a prob, but the closer they are the worse it is...weird.

Also I thought Mercury was a bad thing. Why we got to have em?

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Flourescent bulbs make me look like I'm sick, my skin looks green. uh!

jurgen36

gonzogirl said:
Also I thought Mercury was a bad thing. Why we got to have em?

Why girly the powers to be say so, and we have to obey, OR ELSE.

Actually the problem is not to dispose of burnt out globes, the real problem is if they break in the household. To decontaminate the house or apartment can cost up to 1200 dollars. That is here in Perth for only one single broken globe.
Regards

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Wow, I've never heard of decontamination for a broken fluo. bulb! I guess it's not a so good thing to have lots and lots of those at home. Maybe they'll find a way to put less dangerous stuff in these bulbs in the years to come.