European Union Bans Incandescent Light Bulbs

jurgen36

Re: European Union Bans Incandescent Light Bulbs

Numenorean7 said:
Wow, I've never heard of decontamination for a broken fluo. bulb! I guess it's not a so good thing to have lots and lots of those at home. Maybe they'll find a way to put less dangerous stuff in these bulbs in the years to come.

The problem is the mercury vapor which is released if the glass is broken. I checked with the environmental department and they will try to outlaw them here in WA. They actually were horrified about the amount of mercury released by just one broken globe during their test. But they also say that there are to many other interests involved and the outlaw motion will most likely not work. There are already too many around for too many years. They did not know about the EU ruling to make the darn things mandatory. There opinion is that the EU law makers must be utterly insane.
Regards

gonzogirl

jurgen36 said:
Why girly the powers to be say so, and we have to obey, OR ELSE.

Actually the problem is not to dispose of burnt out globes, the real problem is if they break in the household. To decontaminate the house or apartment can cost up to 1200 dollars. That is here in Perth for only one single broken globe.
Regards

I smell a new industry....cleaning up hazardous homes! They do it for crime scenes...now it will be for ordinary citizens who just need a good hazard free house!

MartinezDeMedio

Yes

I don't have any prob. with true tech advances. driven by market demand.
I do have a prob. with do it or ells, cause I said so, kinda stuff

Yes I absolutely agree. I think humans should do our best to save the planet. The problem is that the majority of us don't, prompting laws like this to get passed. In reality this isn't different than "forcing" businesses and public buildings to have fire alarms and houses in the desert to install or keep their water meters. On one hand, its for the planet. On the other hand, I don't think someone should be forced to pay a fine for not complying. Nor should they be forced to jail. I think forcing people to spend their weekend picking up trash would be a good compromise. You don't recycle? Fine, you spend your day off cleaning the highway. But legal fees and possible jail time is a bit much, for using the wrong light bulbs. I think the intention is in the right place, but the result echoes back to the gestapo. European governments tend to have this problem, you would think they'd be a little more cautious. Then again I'm sure many members on this forum would call me a gestapo for suggesting a compromise to pick up trash. The irony isn't lost on me
Ultimately I think we should try our best to clean this planet up. It would be nice it people didn't have to be forced to do it. Then again its not an ideal world. I'm all for rights. But if my right to be lazy and ignorant infringes on a child's right to breathe cleaner air, who's in the wrong?

TimeFlipper

The EU is nothing more than a fascist club enmeshed in bureaucratic stupidity...For example there was at least four directives on BANANAS (EEC4093/93) (EC3518/93) (EEC 4) (EU1333/2011) which stated that all bananas must be free from malformation or abnormal curvatures of the fingers!!! :D :LOL: :ROFLMAO:...in simple terms it means they cannot be too "bendy"...Thank goodness the UK is leaving that EU (Everything Useless) club of overpaid undemocratic unelected clowns, and i would suggest that the remaining 27 countries should also vote to leave as soon as possible..(y)