Ever wonder about Russia's secrets?

Justinian

The Secret City - CBS News

Krasnoyarsk-26 is a secret city, with a secret population. It's not on any map and the 100,000 people who live there don't exist in any census and don't have any contact with the outside world. Until the last few years, even the name of the city was a secret.

In 1998, 60 Minutes II Producer George Crile visited Krasnoyarsk-26 and discovered that what goes on in this Russian city may be the biggest threat to U.S. national security. Nestled in the frozen wilds of Siberia, Krasnoyarsk-26 produces plutonium, the key ingredient in most nuclear weapons. Over the past 40 years, its factories have produced 40 tons of the deadly element, enough for more than 10,000 nuclear bombs.

The Adventures Of George Crile: Find out firsthand what it was like to be an American in a secret city.
The residents of Krasnoyarsk-26 were recruited from all over the Soviet Union. They were given the best food, the best clothes, the best housing that the Soviet Union had to offer. By Soviet standards, they lived the good life. They were even nicknamed the "chocolate eaters" by their jealous countrymen.

But to get these advantages, they had to agree not to leave or have any visitors from the outside world. They were constantly under surveillance by the KGB. Even today, eight years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the city is still isolated.

The most isolated part of the city is the mountain where the plutonium was produced. Last year, Crile became the first Westerner to take a camera crew into that mountain.

Find out more about Russia's secret cities and the dangers they pose to the rest of the world.
Even today, a decade after the end of the Cold War, one of the reactors is still making plutonium. The engineers will not turn it off and cannot turn it off. If they did turn it off, the 100,000 people who live in Krasnoyarsk-26 would freeze to death. That reactor provides the energy that heats this frozen city.

As the Russian economy continues to tumble precipitously, observers and U.S. government officials worry more and more that disgruntled, hungry Russian nuclear workers will try to sell nuclear material to terrorists or rogue governments. According to U.S. Energy Secretary Bill Richardson, the government's point man in the fight against nuclear proliferation, some of these groups, including Iran, have already tried to buy plutonium to make bombs.

Besides Krasnoyarsk-26, there are nine other nuclear secrt cities in Russia. All 10 are going through the same hardships. Scientists, soldiers, security guards and nuclear workers are all finding themselves in desperate straits. Some experts say that the plutonium and uranium under their control could fall into the wrong hands.

December 1999 update: Since 60 Minutes II first broadcast the story in February, the workers inside the Secret City have received a small pay raise. But the price of food there has doubled or tripled. To deal with the crisis, the United States has agreed to pay the entire cost of converting the nuclear reactor, so that it can heat the city without also making weapons-grade plutonium. The work, however, is not likely to be completed for another two or three years. Until then, the workers inside the mountain will continue producing enough plutonium to make a new bomb every three days.

Samstwitch

That's crazy! :eek: I had never heard of it before. There are a couple of videos on Youtube about Krasnoyarsk-26, but they are in Russian.

Thanks for posting this thread.

Justinian

I had watched the original 60 minutes show back when it aired. I had forgotten about it until recently and I was looking through some Russian News websites for .. stuff. And I came across it again. There are a few websites that talk about all the abandoned things in Russia. You know.. in Russia they are about as technologically advanced as we are and farther ahead in some areas. We, in the West, like to portray them as the backwoods hillbillies of the world but it is far from that. Sure they don't always have the latest iPhone the day it comes out, but they have to wait for it to come to them, it's not that they don't accept it. BUT, their past is riddled with a history of great expansion. The Communist days of the Soviet Union, when you look past the attrocities are something to be taken in awe of. In the US, we all go buy land and live there. In the Soviet Union, you did not buy land. Everyone was rounded up from the countryside and brought to the cities. Then you were "assigned" a home or flat based on your status within the Communist Party. They were building and building more buildings in their regular cities, and when the iron curtain fell, land privatization became a reality. All building stopped at that point almost over night too, cause nobody was getting paid. So this is why there are so many abandoned buildings and structures in Russia and other parts of the former Soviet Union. So that's a ROUGH idea of why things are like that.. I know someone is bound to say that isn't EXACTLY how it happened.. but it gives you a good idea.

When I was in Romania I learned about all this from a few locals that were guiding us around. They took us to their parents home. This older gentleman was a former higher ranking individual of the Communist Party in Romania. The hammer and sickle still hang in his home. We were kinda nervous walking in as Americans and seeing this.. but he was the nicest man you could ever met. He opened his home to us like we were family. And his home was in their money what they consider to be a millionaire neighborhood flat.

We also learned the hard way that these flats are like one big family. In Eastern European countries like that, it is a good sign to bring a gift for the family you are visiting. Now NOTE, do NOT ever bring an even number. It is bad luck to be given even numbers of flowers or other gifts. So.. we brought wine. Lots and lots of wine. Our guides begged us not to. But we didnt see the harm in it. Well when the old man realized that it was a gift for him.. he sent the other sons to all the other flats to let them know they'd be drinking with Americans. Most of them had never met an American before. So we did shots of wine for hours. I've never done shots of wine before, but we did that night. There was a line of people coming in the door and they all wanted to drink with us. So everyone came in and got one shot. And we had to do a shot with all of them. Wine hangovers are the worst. And the next day really sucked. We also partied with the daughter of a Colonel of the old Secret Police. Talk about needing to change your pants when she told us that one.. But I'll leave that story for another time.

titorite

This looks like an aufully bunk peice of journalism... and being from the 90s I can see why it could of been passed off as real back before the WWW.

100,000 people that no body knows about.. but the reporters,... and the fellow countrymen that call them choaclate eaters... and everyone online..... THis is not very secert at all.

And they mine and enrich plutonium.... OK I get that... not being about to turn off a reactor that produces plutonium.... I do not get that....

Back in the early days of the web their used to be pages dedicated to the nuclear thoery and how to make an atomic bumb... Now days that information is proly only on the dark web. Anyways The production of nuclear energy and the enrichment of plutonouim are two different things.

They are not linked. The power could be turned off or the enrichment could be stopped because the two processes are two different processes.

DO YALL KNOW HOW NUCLEAR ENERGY IS CREATED!?!?!?!

IT is steam power. I shit you not. Every single reactor all over planet earth has a variation of this, Hot NUclear rods are dipped into pools of water, the water steams turns the turbines and we get "light juice". Their is no more destructive or idiotic way to produce electricity... ESPECIALLY considering thorium is safer to use than plutonium or uraniam... but then again, Thorium can not be enriched into a weapon. Only plutonium and uranium.....

So every single "peacful" nuclear reactor is anything but.... Everysingle one is a potential production plant. And anyone can be turned off at any time safely and securly.... but then that would be one less production plant.

This story here about these people... I have trouble believeing it.

I think it is more of a project mockingbird story,.

Justinian

Have you ever travelled to any former Soviet country? I'm guessing not by your writing. Judging by your response you didn't read one bit of my second post explainging how things work in these countries.

This original show was done AFTER the collapes of the Soviet Union. When journalism was still done by going there and recording it yourself. When, if you wanted to talk shit about people or make up some story, you had to have your face put on tv to do it. People didn't tend to be quite as apt to do things like they do on the internet because everyone saw who you were. So comparing 90's reporting to the web and thinking that things are more real now? ha.. please. We live in a day and age when we not only have the web, but we have to have pages like snopes in order to try and figure out if what we are reading is real.

As far as people knowing about them, you obviously already have your mind made up, but these towns are not set in locations that people visit often. Even in America we had places like this. Places where thousands of people go to work, but nobody but those people truly know what happens inside. This is what made them secret towns. Even for the Soviet Era, to have armed guards stationed at your town and only letting residents inside.. this too was not common.

AS far as turning off the reactor, you missed that part of the story too! They rely on the power for their town. Once again.. These towns are in remote locations in the Steppes.

Justinian

The majority of your post, titorite, focuses on them talking about not being able to shut down the reactor... HERE is why you didn't read the post fully..

"If they did turn it off, the 100,000 people who live in Krasnoyarsk-26 would freeze to death."

This article says NOTHING about not being able to turn the reactor off do to any reason other than the fact that the locals rely on it for their heat. So I'm really confused as to why the rant as to turning off nuclear plants.. Perhaps you can explain?

TnWatchdog

As this thread title...another Russian secret. There are many Russian secrets...this is just another one to think about. This is an interesting vid from the days of Stalin, the pre Russia, Soviet Union era. Just like Krasnoyarsk-26...we have some facts but it's the facts that we don't have that bother me. Anyway I was going to post this in the Animal Lovers thread...lol...but I think posting it here will work.