Everything happens for a reason?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Everything happens for a reason?

I was listening to Coast to Coast AM last night and a caller made this statement. How many of you actually believe this?

I find it a little hard to believe that there's a purpose behind every single event. It may be my atheism peeking through, but unless there's an ultimate purpose behind EVERY event in the universe...

If things do happen for a reason, what do you imagine that reason to be?

jurgen36

Re: Everything happens for a reason?

I would not even like to guess. I do believe there is a master plan to hold the whole universe together.
Regards

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Some stuff happens for a reason, but not everything.

jurgen36

Numenorean7 said:
Some stuff happens for a reason, but not everything.

May all happens for a reason, but we are most likely not intelligent enough to see the reason before its to late.
Regards

Num7

Administrator
Staff

jurgen36 said:
May all happens for a reason, but we are most likely not intelligent enough to see the reason before its to late.
Regards
Do you think the future is totally written, that we have no free will at all ?

jurgen36

Numenorean7 said:

That is one thing I do not know. Sometimes I really believe that the past present and future is the same and already established. But the there are indications that it might be possible to change the past. So I do not know anymore. The next few years in quantum physics are very exiting and I do hope I live long enough to find out what new theories will develop.
Regards

Chip Lewis

To start, I am one who believes that everything does happen for a reason. I'll tell you why...

It all comes down to balance. To me, we are not (and never will be) perfect (no matter how anal or precise I/we try to be). However, we are part of something that is dynamically perfect (based on balance). The truth about most things that we think are “destructive” argues that in actuality they are very creative. An example would be a situation where a child playing with matches starts a forest fire. He is chastised to the point of being traumatized by the incident. Two factors created in this situation are an example of the balance that is naturally obtained. First, the forest that is damaged by fire grows back 6 to 15 times faster than a forest that is removed due to de-forestation. The carbon in the soil mixed with the cooked top soil provide excellent nutrients for a forest to regenerate itself stronger and more resilient than before. Not to mention that pine cones themselves are built with this event "in mind". Secondly, that child (depending on guidance or lack thereof) either develops into a fireman (that knows everything possible about preventing and maintaining fires), or becomes a full blown pyromaniac that burns himself to oblivion in effect teaching his parents and peers that chastising a person to trauma is a mistake. Or, it teaches the parents that they were negligent in their parenting to have allowed their child to become so dangerous to himself and others. Balance is obtained. This example may also have a million other strings of balance that launch of into other lessons eternally.

Another small example (I have created many of them to back up my theory). Here is a thought: Why is the Earths moon white? You can explain the geological physics to me (I.e. a large planetary body slammed into the earth at high velocity burning everything to ash. Ash is white....blah blah blah). Now explain to me why this occurred on a planet where "intelligent beings" (that cannot see in the dark) have evolved.

There is a balance in play regardless of whether or not one believes!

gonzogirl

I think everything happens for a reason....I'm just not sure why....
Sometimes I get the feeling that this has all happened already and we are "replaying" it.. I dont know if it makes sense.....but thats the best way for me to explain it.......

gonzogirl

Numenorean7 said:

I think we have the illusion of free will....but even that is written.
Again I dont know why i think this..... I FEEL it so..

Num7

Administrator
Staff

If the future is written, why are we existing ?
If everything that happens is totally scheduled, and that there's no way to stop it, is life still making sense ?

Num7