First reaction to John Titor story

CaryP

I think your just trying to sound smart.

What provoked this comment? Careful now Fury. As Heggy said, Starlord doesn't need to sound smart. He has demonstrated his intelligence and fine sense of humor consistently here. Your comment was rather "quick" of you, especially being your 4th post here. As the wise saying tells us, it's sometimes better to maintain our silence and leave others to doubt our intelligence, rather than open our mouths and confirm our ignorance for all to hear.

Now, Starlord is man, and can handle himself. He needs no rescuing by others. But if you've read these boards much, we're a friendly, close-knit group. We don't take kindly to TT hoaxers, fools and loud mouths who are used to the flame fests of other less polite boards. We especially don't suffer attacks on members who have established the positive reputation that Starlord has.

So before we spin even further off topic, DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO CONTRIBUTE that is pertinent to this thread? If so, please do. Or are you the type that snipes at the contributions of others? If so, I suggest you move along to some Wild West show somewhere down the line in the vast world of internet BBS's. There are innumerable opinionated, loud mouthed bafoons waiting for you there.

Sorry Starlord, you were saying...?

Cary

Judge Bean

Originally posted by CaryP@Aug 31 2004, 09:31 AM
I think your just trying to sound smart.

What provoked this comment? Careful now Fury. As Heggy said, Starlord doesn't need to sound smart. He has demonstrated his intelligence and fine sense of humor consistently here. Your comment was rather "quick" of you, especially being your 4th post here. As the wise saying tells us, it's sometimes better to maintain our silence and leave others to doubt our intelligence, rather than open our mouths and confirm our ignorance for all to hear.

Now, Starlord is man, and can handle himself. He needs no rescuing by others. But if you've read these boards much, we're a friendly, close-knit group. We don't take kindly to TT hoaxers, fools and loud mouths who are used to the flame fests of other less polite boards. We especially don't suffer attacks on members who have established the positive reputation that Starlord has.

So before we spin even further off topic, DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO CONTRIBUTE that is pertinent to this thread? If so, please do. Or are you the type that snipes at the contributions of others? If so, I suggest you move along to some Wild West show somewhere down the line in the vast world of internet BBS's. There are innumerable opinionated, loud mouthed bafoons waiting for you there.

Sorry Starlord, you were saying...?

Cary

Yes: please continue, Starlord. You were trying and succeeding in sounding smart, and we need the input of someone along these lines, since it points to Titor being a smart group that always tried to sound smart and, unlike you, not always succeeding.

StarLord

Thank You Brothers, It's always nice to know your back is covered no matter what and I most certainly appreciate your kind opinions, made my day I have to tell you.

Now then, Fury is it?

What EXACTLY did you mean by that comment? Were you put off by my opinion? Did you think I was being flippant there in regards to the obvious differences of posts that were purported to be from one person? I bought the thin white book and read it. It reminded me of polyglot beginning opus from several sources.

Albeit, their story line was interesting and their outlines prior to this hoax must have been prodigious at best because you need a pat set of outlines when writing about time travel so that you do not create a paradox in your own travels. They almost pulled it off. Almost.

I have been reading as a hobby many years before you were born. I have lost more books than you may have bought or read. I remember reading the early works of many established Sci-Fi authors and have enjoyed with great relish and anticipation their respective growth as they unfurled their imaginations and soared as each new book was created and set free. There is nothing like witnessing a author grow into his or her own. And, there is nothing like the neverending angony of waiting for the next new book to show up.

Stephen R Donaldson did this to me 5 times while I patiently,cough, waited for him to finish the Illearth Series featuring Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever, UrLord, White Gold Wielder, and so on and so on... A triology that went to six books....

I Digress.
Point is, each and every single author has their own flair, style, presence while writing. Same in music, There is no mistaking the licks of Carlito (Santana) from Joe Satriani and Van Halen or Hendrix, it is more than, plain as day, because you can hear it. Trust me when I say that the same is true when reading written works.

Just because we are not aware of something that does not meet the eye or attention right off, certainly does not mean that it is not real. There is a obvious intent to this work regarding titor and his portent of future ill and I will tell you point blank, it has nothing to do with a real person nor does it have to do with the claim of time travel, that in itself is the hook for your interest and attention, so is the fear generated from the "bad news" of the future and lastly being one of the few "that truly know whats going to happen in the future" most people love secret gossip of this sort.

Which reminds me, I would wager that there were either a resident psychologist and or psychiatrist in on the writing of this titor story.

Here is a tasty tidbit for you to test your skills of logical progression Fury. What do you think would happen when two eaxct same model trucks with the same VIN # show up to be registered and insured? You can bet your bottom dollar that would have made the news back then, Very Big News. If it was me dealing that problem, I would have created a "2% Time Line Variance" to cover my backside from details that I had forgotten to think about.

Fury, did you have anything else on your mind?

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

This was Fury's first mistake as Starlord actually is smart.

Fury's second mistake, will be to reply and try to sound smarter.

Judge Bean

I think the Fury was full of sound and signified nothing.

I also thought that there had to have been a psychologist of some sort on the "Titor Team." There is actually too much range for it to be one person: cultist/survivalist/Constitutionalist, Fundamentalist Christian, Amateur Physicist, Science Fiction Writer, Anthropologist/Mythographer, etc. etc. etc.

This is why it is important to hear about Starlord's take on the imitative character of the writing and its themes.

Let's not be derailed by somebody putting a nickel on the rail.