1. Dismiss Notice

Forum Rules Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback and Support' started by Num7, May 13, 2015.

1. PaulaJedi

PaulaJedi Survivor Premium

I do think the anti-heavy-debunking is good because this is meant to be a paranormal forum and people do believe here. I am a little confused, though. Example - I do believe in paranormal phenomena, but I don't believe everything I see. I, personally, never belittle someone or dismiss someone's opinion for being different than mine, though. I guess my question is: Do you want us to refrain from replying at all if we don't believe something like a photo or video is paranormal? I don't want to break the rules, so please clarify for me. Thanks. :)

PoisonApple, Num7 and bluejay_1919 like this.
  2. Num7

Num7 Administrator

I rephrased parts of the Regular Discussion rule so that it's more spot on.
    Just like you said, heavy debunking is the primary thing those updated rules aim to get us rid of. Stating that you do no agree with something, or think that something isn't paranormal, for instance, is not debunking. We're still all free to share our opinions in respectful and constructive ways. I'm aware that "debunking" can be pretty large and the line between debunking and not-debunking can be pretty thin sometimes...

Saying "Hey, I think this ghost girl in that video is fake, it's not paranormal! " is not debunking, it's sharing your opinion. Same thing if you say: "Hmm... I don't think this time travel medallion is legit, because no one would sell a time travel medallion for $10, right?"

On the other hand, saying "Anyone who considers buying a time travel medallion for $10 is lacking common sense and shouldn't be allowed to have an Internet connection for the world's well being" is downright rude and doesn't encourage discussion. Is it debunking? Maybe, maybe not, but it's rude and therefore isn't allowed.

Now, repeatedly tearing apart the HDR and saying it's a piece of crap used by half-brained people for X and Y reasons is debunking. The same goes for arguing and repeatedly stating that John Titor is a cheap hoax followed by people with no life who constantly live in their heads. Debunking is destructive and encourages one sided conversations that are not respectful and have no consideration for any other lines of thought. And yes, it's rude.

You are welcome to reply to a thread and share your thoughts no matter if you agree or not with the original poster. We just have to disagree in a respectful and constructive way, like we usually do here. It's fine that way.

3. bluejay_1919

bluejay_1919 Senior Member

Well said-

4. Num7

Num7 Administrator

In light of the recent feedback I received from a few regular members, I added the following to the forum rules. It has to do with discussions that went off course because of politics. I figured I'd include religion because it happens sometimes as well.

As usual, it's not forbidden to mention something related to politics or religion in a random thread. Let's just not lose sight of the discussion at hand, that's all.

Thanks.

Classicalfan626 likes this.