Forum Viruses (False Positives)

Sanyam Deshi

It just started in the last hour, but sometimes when I visit a thread, some mysterious looking swf file is downloaded and I have to keep cancelling the download. I would like to know if there are any current security issues that I should know about.

Sanyam Deshi

Never mind. Chrome disabled my Adobe Flash Player for some reason and that was the problem. Please disregard and delete.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I had such a warning too earlier today. It didn't last long enough for me to be able to find what it was about.

Let me know if it happens again. Or if anyone else notices it.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
For the past month my flash plugin gives me that kind of warning. Somehow something got installed on my machine without my knowledge to do that.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I wish someone would come out with a flash substitute. Currently I'm using a flash version that runs stable with Firefox. Took me a while to get a combination that works. From what I see in the net, everyone is having trouble with the latest version.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
HTML5 is slowly replacing Flash in quite a bit of modern websites. It supports, for example, a native video tag that makes Flash obsolete for embedded videos.

You can click here in order to enable the Youtube HTML5 player. It will make it so that Youtube won't use Flash to read videos (Once activated, it doesn't change the way Youtube works):
YouTube

If your browser doesn't support it, it'll just tell you.