Future Humans Visit At Time Of Death

CaryP

Re: Future Humans Visit At Time Of Death

Outstanding post August. You put it down succinctly in a way that I was only vaguely thinking about. We weren't meant to live forever "here." Get on with what you're up to here, each day you're closer to the grave yard. Thanks for your brilliant, as usual, insight.

Cary

Judge Bean

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"August\")</div>
aimswanson, this is an excellent topic you have started. I have already responded from my gut. Now I have given it some thought. Your prediction allows us to explore who and what we are.

I do hope your prediction does not come true; your prediction hails the end of our species. For example, one of the benefits of your future \"immortality system\" is that,

\"Our future life will be endless and thus we can patiently and gradually grow in knowledge.\"

And this would pretty much stifle who we are. Take three individuals who have made great strides for our species. I won't lead you. Take your pick. Now tell them they have \"forever\" on this planet rather than a few decades. Do they still have the same fire in the belly?

For the past 30,000 years we have done amazing things because we do not have much time. Our certain deaths make us build pyramids, build better republics, finish that book, stay up late to test it one more time, and hold our wives and children tightly.

Your prediction, I think, betrays a common problem with our society. We believe death and old age are the problem. They are not the problem; they are the motivation. Remember that The Renaissance was populated with thinkers who would place a human skull on their desks. This reminder urged them to do better, be more diligent, complete the task at hand. But today we expect that Pfizer will figure out a way to let us watch television for a few more decades. We don't like to think about the end and what that means for us now.

If your prediction comes true, I would elect to remain with the time-limited humans. I predict the individuals on the time-limited team will be the real go-getters.

We are born, for a period of time we struggle with ourselves and our environment, and at some point we die. Enjoy the struggle while you have it.

When I was very young, I read a copy of Emerson. His ideas spread through my mind like a cancer. When I reflected on my young adulthood, until just a few years ago, I saw this as a terrible mistake. I read him with no guidance and with limited understanding. His ideas on life--and living one's life--made me a bit less than popular with my age group. But a few years ago, one morning, I realized how full my life had been up to that point--full of love and experience. It was the old \"If I were to die right now, I could not complain\" moment. I have a long-dead author to thank for this gift.

Under your system, Ralph Waldo would be in his 4th 22 year-old body today. There he is taking a break from surfing and passively talking to his 128th girlfriend on a beach in southern California. They are not talking about important things because they have, well, they have forever. She tells him, \"You know, some day you should write down some of those old thoughts you had--I think they have value.\"

\"I will some day\", he says, \"I have plenty of time.\"[/b]

Carpe diem.

You also need to clean the system out to make ready for the new ones, need to get out of their way, or else you'd be hampered by old codgers who wouldn't let you add another string to the guitar or prove the existence of Pluto.

I think you need to stand to the gun, fire, and immediately afterward, in the words of the old ship's artillery order, "Worm and sponge!"

I'm having kind of a hard time envisioning Emerson as a surfer dude with a long line of girlfriends. I suppose so long as he didn't drag Henry David along with him to the beach...

StarLord

Tempus Fugit

Agreed, August. It's the ticking clock which adds fuel to genius. I always wondered at the thinking behind those that chose to freeze their head in hopes that someday the technology would come around to facilitate 'downloading' their totality thereby cheating that natural next step we refer to as 'death'

As some of you may have guessed I am a firm believer in Reincarnation. One may perhaps be able to record the 'isness' of a person writing it into the silicon playground, but I seriously doubt the 'spark' which insures our unique and dsistinct individuality which I would call the Soul, would be part and parcell to this undertaking. You might be able to store a 'flow chart' of all the possible choices due to our intellect, but you would never be able to 'write' the Soul into that program as we have bigger and better things to do than be placed in some grand data bank to insure our longevity when it is already in play. The Soul is already eternal, the dance is each different life we experience in order to grow.