Garbage Scavengers: How and where do you get the best and biggest magnets?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
The thread about building a powerful laser out of an old computer parts made me think about this. In which old devices, old house appliances or any kind of stuff can we possibly find the best or biggest magnets?

We can include electromagnets as well.

Personally, the best device I found to get my hands on huge magnets is any old 3.5 inch hard drive. The older the HD, the biggest the magnets. Some of them are seriously powerful. I have a whole stack of them in my basement where I dismember those old hard drives like one mad magnet collector scientist! See photo below. ;)

IMG_20150804_204637.jpg

So, tell us where you get yours!

LisaTiffany

You just have magnets hanging around? I have a few on the fridge lol

It's a little odd that those all look like the parts of a door handle/lock, I've seen countless old hard drives at recycle centres, perhaps they would be good places to procure some more :)

Chocomil

just found some huge ones in busted 15 inch subwoofers.

TimeFlipper

The thread about building a powerful laser out of an old computer parts made me think about this. In which old devices, old house appliances or any kind of stuff can we possibly find the best or biggest magnets?

Personally, the best device I found to get my hands on huge magnets is any old 3.5 inch hard drive. The older the HD, the biggest the magnets. Some of them are seriously powerful. I have a whole stack of them in my basement where I dismember those old hard drives like one mad magnet collector scientist! See photo below. ;)

View attachment 2078

With all those magnets in your home its obvious why your girlfriend is "attracted to you" :D

Last edited:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
That's why I keep collecting more and more of them, to keep the attraction going!

TF, where do you get your magnets from? :)

Poison Pen

View attachment 2078

Geez! I hope your not wearing anything magnetic when you get close to that!

Last edited:

Chocomil

so today im buying some huge magnets from a couple locals over craigslist, one magnet is 15 in diameter and one is 18 inch in diameter, lets see how they stand up to the heat, hopefully i can cool them enough so that they wont melt from the high electricity im going to put them through.