Hacking computers not connected to the web

Justinian

Without getting into Snowden and what he's done... The radio tonight on BBC was talking about he's now saying that the US government has the capability to access computers that are not connected to the web. Not meaning breaking into homes, but that they can use the internet to somehow then connect to your computer that is not on the internet. I just thought I'd post this from a purely scientific point of view. IF this is true, this is an amazing advance of technology.

If anyone finds any web news or otherwise that they can post here on it, please do.

Khaos

where the wild things are
Either you heard wrong or the person who said that doesn't know an ounce of how computers and the internet work. You need a constant internet connection to remotely access someone's computer. If their internet connection is turned off, its impossible.

However, a computer could be "bugged" where it records data and sends it to another device externally. Pretty much like a wireless adapter. The way an adapter works is by transmitting a signal to the nearest hotspot and relaying it back and giving you wireless internet. Maybe that is what they were talking about.

In honesty regarding the NSA spying, its not a big deal like it is for some people to me. I'm not doing anything illegal, and if they have a problem with me, they are welcome to stop by and talk. If you aren't doing anything illegal, there is no point in worrying.

If you are truly worried about someone spying on you, you must be doing something wrong. ;)

Justinian

I've got some feelers out on this. So I'm still up in the air. But theoretically it could be possible to "force" your wifi adapter to accept an internet connection. Thereby kinda ghosting your internet connection even if you "think" you may have disabled it. A wifi adapter is constantly pinging for new connections no matter whether you are connected or not. So whats to say that you can't initiate that connection from the opposite end instead of from your end? I could imagine this like remotely installing an upgrade silently to some wimax antenna whereas it is not only accepting devices, but will also go out and actively "recruit" new connections.

Justinian

I understand that it may not sound feasible, but I've made a lot of money in my life doing things like this that my colleagues said was just impossible to accomplish.

Khaos

That technology has been around for years... That is what I'm talking about, where the computer or other device is bugged. Its just like using a regular bug where you can record imagery and audio and other data. But for them to access your offline computer via the internet, that isn't possible at all. They would have to use a different signal (in this case a radio band)

BlastTyrant

That technology has been around for years... That is what I'm talking about, where the computer or other device is bugged. Its just like using a regular bug where you can record imagery and audio and other data. But for them to access your offline computer via the internet, that isn't possible at all. They would have to use a different signal (in this case a radio band)

Agreed it isn't possible to access a PC that isn't on-line, i have been in the IT business for a few years now so i can testify that unless it is a Virus or some sort of software that gets pushed out in a update that turns the PC on or connects it to the net "Assuming the PC is off then they are completely SOL"

I can definitely see a Virus or Program that connects the PC to the internet, but really how many people ever disconnect their Desktop from the net? i know i don't. The only way this would even be worth the time is for Laptop's that are used for travel, and if they are in a dead spot it is pointless anyway.

Khaos

My computer occasional disconnects me from the internet. Happens if I leave my laptop unattended. I heard its a glitch in the Windows 8 software, a lot of other people have experienced it. But its possible for a program to connect the laptop to the internet, some programs search for an internet connection and could possibly flip the switch. It could be also possible to engineer a program/virus in such a way, that your computer is actually connected to the internet, but your connection properties say its not.

Justinian

It was theoretically not possible to short out a laptop battery remotely either but someone has done that. As we all know a computer is just processing data in 1's and 0's. In my field we manipulate waveforms to create those 1's and 0's. And if you really think about it, unless you have your computer set to physically be cut off from the net, it'd only be a matter of manipulating the way that the computer is reading those 1's and 0's so that it now thinks its supposed to be connecting to the internet. Most remote sites have what is called a "white line". This white line is used not really for backdoor purposes but rather so you can access remote information for your site and don't have to connect it to whatever sensitive network you are operating. So.. say you are in a nuclear plant. You backdoor the white line, and setup an adhoc that is bypassing a wireless software killswitch.

I'd be willing to put my 20+years of experience on the line and say that this could be done.

I've already seen the capability to permanently "shut off" an entire site from a modem-satellite-modem link. The technology exists to do all of what I've said above via a satellite link so I don't see why its not possible visa vi computer-internet-computer link.