How Should We Treat Time Travelers?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
So, in other words, you want folks to treat Hoaxers with respect.
Correct. Even though it's clear 99% of these guys are full of it, it still generates crazy, interesting discussions that a lot of us want to enjoy... Without the interruptions of having the holes in the story torn apart. The goal is to try and separate the fantastic from the debunking without eliminating either one.

What are the parameters of pointing out lies in their Hoax?
An example would be "I Am John Titor" where the discussion contains ONLY posts that contribute to the thread in a positive way (i.e. ones that does not call for the OP to defend themselves).

Parallel to that would be [DEBUNKING] I Am John Titor, a thread where the usual challenges are made and the discussion seeks to dissect the OPs claims via logic.

Posts of the latter nature made in the former thread will be moved, and vice-versa. Hopefully that makes sense, I'm at work typing between people walking by my office. :p

Think of one as for creative writing, the other for critical thinking.

Edit: Whoops, Num beat me to it.
*shakes fist*

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
There are more "debumkers" her than hoaxers.
There's a reason for that, one we're trying to remedy. Nobody wants to read site where it's nothing but one person stearing someone else apart in the most witty and articulate way possible. We allowed that to happen and look where it got us in the long run... An inactive site full of nothing BUT debunkers. What are we supposed to talk about when they're all gone? Admit it, things got more interesting when the three Titors showed up.

Why are we pandering to the enemy? Seems counterproductive.
I'm not sure I'd classify them as such... They bring interesting and imaginative content to the site AND fodder for your side of the fence. Just because you think their tale is stupid or offensive doesn't mean you NEED to try and tear them down. Some people want to enjoy the story without the interruptions.

JasperMoon

Thanks for the posting. I'm going to add that somewhere I heard you can catch more flies with honey. It's a courtesy of exchange. You can get more info out of a liar when you treat them at first as if they were telling the truth. Somewhere along the way they will eventually slip up. And you can tell a truth teller by the very same. I guess I was raised differently, to respect people and their feelings. Once they've crossed the line with you, however, that's when you can go for the jugular. Until then, be polite!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Nobody wants to read site where it's nothing but one person stearing someone else apart in the most witty and articulate way possible. We allowed that to happen and look where it got us in the long run... An inactive site full of nothing BUT debunkers. What are we supposed to talk about when they're all gone? Admit it, things got more interesting when the three Titors showed up.

Just because you think their tale is stupid or offensive doesn't mean you NEED to try and tear them down. Some people want to enjoy the story without the interruptions.

That is true. Remember last year at the same time? No one was posting on here except debunkers. As soon as someone claimed something fantastic, not logic, like DrZ and a few others, their posts were ripped apart and discussion on the topic at hand couldn't take place because the OP had to defend himself from the debunkers instead of sharing his ideas and answer questions. I can't allow that to happen ever again.

This forum is about sharing paranormal / out of the box ideas, concepts and content. That's where we are heading now. Debunking is only one part in the process of thinking out of the box.

StarLord

Traffic is king.

I'll take the bullet for drZ last year and specifically because after conversation with the dude years ago, where he finally admitted that the HDR and all the other crap, was just that, crap, but not to let the cat out of the bag because there was money to be made. My stance residing in not helping to rip off kids and people that didn't know better.

This is a different approach and should be interesting to see how it works outside the box.

Samstwitch

Wow, this is a really interesting thread that I had not seen before with very informative insight! Num7 truly has a gift for Moderating a Forum. Thanks Boss! :)

About John Titor 3, Mr. Chapelton here---> http://paranormalis.com/threads/i-am-john-titor.2678/, he sounded for real, but it looks like he left. I'm going to look for more info on him. I'll awaken the old thread and see what comes up. He sounded like the real deal at first, but then his story progressed with inconsistencies.

*POST NOTE: I posted more about my findings on this subject in Post #92 HERE - CLICK ME and in Post #35 HERE - CLICK ME. in case anyone wants to follow this conversation. I see that he was debunked by others, and after researching, I agree.

I wish I had met the real John Titor. :(

PamelaM

well you dont know if they are full of crap unless you ask them questions. If people see people being torn apart at the first hint of a claim the real people with real fantastic stories will not feel lead to share what they know. You dont have to believe someone to ask them questions about what they are claiming do you? Imagine how much would be shared if people simply asked questions instead of saying the person was full of crap right away. strange things do happen in this world but unfortunately you have to wade through alot of crap to find the real ones. "we dont want to be made a fool." is simply ego getting in the way. no one said you have to believe someone to ask them questions and asking questions does not automatically mean you believe everything the person is saying either.

kurisu

I would have to agree with Pam the only way to know if someone is telling the truth is through questioning we cant physically see the device so we have to ask them enough questions to get a full pictures. As a result the story will be 100% always correct and follows up ( personally i think it would be strange for someone not to make a mistake after being questioned over and over ) or mostly correct with errors here and there ( I think this would be a good response in questioning since people make mistakes no matter who they are ) and, finally a completely mixed and twisted up story which cant fit together at all

taykair

How should they be treated? Well...

Delusional disorder is not an easy thing to treat, and the methods vary. Anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, and anti-psychotic drugs are sometimes employed. Other means, such as psychotherapy or behavioral therapy are sometimes used.

Of course, the person in question must want to be helped and this is difficult, considering that the person who is suffering from delusions usually believes that the problem lies with others and not himself.