If you happen to meet one of these creatures...

Num7

Administrator
Staff
What will be your reaction? A few things can happen depending what kind of reactions you'll have when you see and incredible and unusual creature in the distance. Alright, is your reaction going to be one of the following?

• Are you going to freak out and run away as fast as you can?
  • Are you going to stay calm and try to approach it? Would you risk your life to get a dark picture or a shaky video?
  • Will you freeze and stop moving until it's gone?
  • Something else?
I suppose it will also depend on how, where and when it happens. If it's at 2PM under the sun in the open, you're less likely to crap your pants than if it takes place in the woods on a dark foggy night with no moon, right?

Do you think you'd have the nerve (or be crazy enough) to actually take a good look at it and/or get a good picture or video?

What would you do?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
If it was a bear, and it was charging toward me. I'm done for. They can snap a man's spine with one swipe. I am not capable of outrunning a bear. No man is. I suppose I could try not moving and not making eye contact. And pray that I no longer appear to be a threat. All the cards are on the bears side.

I've seen lions at feeding time at the zoo. They all roar in unison. And it is very intimidating. And a lion is no match for a bear.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Those are very good and valid points. What if the creature is aggressive towards you? I guess you'd better run then.

Could you just drop like a dead body and stop moving and breathing until it feels, like you said, that you're no longer a treat. A treat or a dinner?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
The idea is to let him know that he is the boss. As long as you deliberately do nothing, he may decide to spare you. Making eye contact might be considered provocation. Running may provoke him into chasing you. Bears can climb trees too.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
Playing dead will not stop a bear from mauling you, it'd only make it easier for him to eat you..I'd try jamming my thumbs in it's eye sockets, or maybe shoving my arm down it's throat to choke it..Both are ballsy moves I'd only try in worst case scenarios..God forbid we'll ever be attacked by a bear or any other creature!

If it were, say, a Bigfoot, I'd try to watch and observe it as much as I could without disturbing it..I might try to snap a picture or video but with all the skeptics out there, more than likely it wouldn't be taken seriously anyway...

darwi

For a really dangerous critter like those described, I'd really like to be able to do a King Kong and pull its mouth apart the way Kong does with T-rex, if I needed to. However, if it's those cute, little, intelligent beetles, whose spaceship crash landed in Bolivia according to MUFON, crowding around me, I'd try my best not to step on them and find out what they wanted.

Khaos

where the wild things are
Remember one time I was up north near the Canadian border and came across to bear cubs in the wilderness. Wanted to get up close and take a picture of them, but I didn't because the mother bear was lurking in the woods, I saw her from the corner of my eye.

You don't mess with a mother's cubs. First rule of exploration. Anyways to answer your question, I have encountered animals that would tear me apart within seconds, my usual response is just to freeze and limit my movements. Not making eye contact is key. You don't want to get into a staring contest with an animal who is grand champion at staring contests.

I've also heard of people bringing food along with them, in an attempt to give a diversion to said animal they encounter. That is complete idiocy. That only works in the movies, and doesn't work too well in real life. In the most likely case they will tear you apart in search of said source of food you have on you.

titorite

IF it were something terrestrial I would not be scared. I've seen bears, never saw a big foot, rode horses, if it is earth based It is not scary... If it were a little grey I'd probably be scared and my natural instincts would proly overwhelm my rationel

BlastTyrant

ahhhhhhhh the key point in this question is depending on the time of day or night the incident happens!

If i ran into a squatch at night, no doubt i'd run.
During the day, i may tough it out and try to snap a picture.

If it was a bear i wouldn't F with it period! I am a large hairy man my self and last thing i need to do is get into it with a bear over territory! I'd have to kick it's ass ;)

titorite, who is to say these creatures are terrestrial? Bigfoot sightings regularly co-inside with UFO sightings, maybe bigfoot is actually a alien species and thats why one hasn't been found yet?

titorite

Well, I just tend to think of squach as natrual. Just another being that evolved with us on our wonderful little rock in space. So it doesn't strike me as intimidating.