Is Paranormalis moving to xenForo?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Re: Is Paranormalis moving to xenForo?

That's not in my plans right now, I don't like vBulletin 4 that much, but I'm not going to switch to another software either. I still think vB4 is the best -forum- engine available, despite its massive flaws when it comes to the CMS and other parts of the software.

XenForo looks like an exciting product though, I'd probably buy it if I was looking for a paid software. I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Just be careful who you keep as your software provider... IB is losing money, desperately trying to sell to some company called Hellman and are being investigated for ethical business practices by their shareholders.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Really ? I didn't hear of that, but I admit I haven't checked their site for like 2 months. I'll need to check it out.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

vBulletin hid the thread about them suing the previous owners behind a "licensed members only" forum, not sure what's in there.

Here's some bathroom literature:

1. Internet Brands claims against XenForo | Page 68 | XenForo Community
  2. Internet Brands v. Xenforo: A Lawyer's Opinion | The Law Professor
  3. Matt Mecham - How to lose friends and alienate people
  4. Post
  5. vBulletin sues ex-devs over 'from scratch' competitor ? The Register
  6. vBulletin brand ruined by Internet Brands management - Forum Posters Union
Would REALLY consider moving pretty quickly... xF is very impressive and at this point (even in beta) is the best forum system I've ever seen. Miles ahead of vB. You could probably sell your existing license for $140 and use the money to switch. I'm buying my license Friday afternoon :)

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Here's the one about the investigation:
StreetInsider.com - The Law Office of Abe Shainberg Announces an Investigation into the Possible Breaches of Fiduciary Duty by the Board of Internet Brands, Inc. in Connection with the Sale of the Company to Hellman &amp

Basically, they're losing money and are desperate to sell so they didn't shop their options, they just entered into a sale agreement with the first buyer they found. They're being investigated because they have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of their shareholders, which they're clearly not.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Dude, I did my homework now and I'm now considering XenForo as an option. I'm not sure yet though, I'll wait for the final release of the software to see if it's worth it. I considered moving to SMF or MyBB at some point, but I figured vB4 still had a better forum engine than these 2.

I was dead wrong when I bought the CMS suite last year, I thought it would make Paranormalis better, but it was exactly what we didn't need. SMF and MyBB are awesome too, but they aren't that great, they aren't so lightweight and exciting compared to XenForo. I still prefer our tweaked version of vB4 to other free softwares.

Now, about XenForo. I can easily see Paranormalis being powered by this piece of software. It'd be quick and swift, no useless crap.

I'm amazed at how XF is lightweight compared to other forum software. I'm not even going to compare it to vB4's retardness.

We'll see what comes out of this beta stage. I definitely look forward the product's release candidates, I might make a move then. Brent, do you want a vB4 licence ? lol