Is Religion the denial of Science?

Lord Roco

A bit controversial topic, so i suggest keeping a close watch on this. What do you think, Is Religion the denial of Science?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Some things seem so magic when it comes to religion. What's a miracle ? Something that can't be explained scientifically ? How did Jesus turn this water into wine, etc. Maybe it's a real miracle, maybe it's a lie because it just didn't happen at all, maybe it's just a science trick we don't know about ? Hmm.

I'm not sure what to think on this one. I'm having mixed feelings.

MadMikeyB

You need to correct the spelling of "Religion" in the topic title (sorry, just something which bugged me).

Personally, I think Religion and Science CAN co-exist hand in hand, Steven Hawking for example says he believed in god for the longest time, and he's one of the best scientists in the world. You can prove all these theories, and then go "well, it all started cos of someone, or something"..

thedude

Typically I see religion take what they want from science if it suits them and then disregard the stuff that contradicts and relying of faith instead. One thing science lacks is faith because they don't believe without proof but that doesn't mean science can't imagine or presume something for scientific testing purposes. Religion may be viable for a time as long as it coincides with current knowledge but it predicts with bias and new findings end up contradicting current knowledge. Religion has no choice but to evolve with current knowledge or die off.

jadonx

If you reverse the question I don't think science deny's the existence of a Creator or God (religion maybe). There are many things science cannot explain.

Keroscene

There are many things neither science nor religion can explain. Like why I don't like anchovies on my pizza. No explanation needed.

stinamarie1225

Personally, I think Religion and Science exist hand in hand. One exists because of the other. If we had all the answers, either way, one would not exist. In this respect, they go hand in hand.
Mankind would not be happy if it has absolute answers. it's nature is to try and prove and disprove everything, and at the same time, have something to believe in.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
if I remember right science was developed as the study of how GOD does what HE do,
so we would not have it without the HIM. the trouble started when we couldn't reproduce a living thing in a lab. sorry no frankinstien:( and since we couldn't remake HIS handy work in a lab:confused: being the egomaniacs we are, and not to mention we are the smartest beings that ever lived. well if we can't than no one can. so life must be an assadent. yeh thats it we came from monkeys :rolleyes: ANYWAY sorry for the rant but you get the jist of my point :D religion on the other hand is all about control of the people for the profit of its leaders. think not stop giveing money to the preacher and watch them scream your there paycheck.

Dionysus

A bit controversial topic, so i suggest keeping a close watch on this. What do you think, Is Religion the denial of Science?

I think science is too much of a mundane explanation to co-exist in a universe that's origins can only be believably explained through the magic of religion.