Is the ‘Gay Gene’ a Myth? Scientists Say Homosexuality Impossible to Determine by DNA

Num7

Administrator
Staff
The results of a comprehensive scientific study released earlier this year suggest that homosexuality cannot be directly traced to a ‘gay gene,’ but is instead dependent on a variety of factors, including environmental and social influences.

Pro-homosexual activists have long claimed that homosexuality and abnormal “sexual orientations” are primarily caused by genetic factors. They argue that individuals with a hereditary “gay gene” are predisposed toward same-sex attractions and thus unable to appreciate traditional marriages.

However, scientific findings released earlier this year during the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago call this premise into question. During the meeting, Michael Bailey of Northwestern University unveiled comprehensive research results which suggest that genetics alone do not determine “sexual orientation.”

Read more:
Is the ‘Gay Gene’ a Myth? Scientists Say Homosexuality Impossible to Determine by DNA | Christian News Network

DNA-genes-300x300.jpg

Khaos

where the wild things are
but is instead dependent on a variety of factors, including environmental and social influences.

English translation: Homosexuals, myself included chose to be gay

My translation: This study is full of shit, I didn't choose to be gay, and I have a question for those who dictate otherwise. When did you choose to be straight? If you're answer is "I was born straight" then what makes you think homosexuals can't be born gay?

Homosexuality isn't just limited to humans. Its been observed in the animal kingdom, in insects and plants. Its a gene factor involved. Its almost like saying that hispanics or blacks chose their skin color when they were born, you think they would choose something that is going to get them ridiculed by the media for most of their life? Why would I choose something that would make my life harder to live?

I bet the "study" here is a fabricated propaganda by a bunch of anti-gay morons.

Anyways here's a tidbit of my growing up experience. I was raised in a Christian household. My parents let us watch movies with nudity. I was always and still am grossed out by seeing a woman naked. Now seeing a guy naked... that's a different story. My parents bible thumped the hell out of me when they found out I was gay. But that didn't change me either.

Social and environmental influences? What a crock of shit.

Off topic: Got anymore studies to give out, Num7? Remember, your resident homosexual doesn't mind getting his hands dirty in these "propaganda studies"

Last edited:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I agree that one doesn't choose to be straight or gay, that's a sure thing that I can't see myself debate at all. I agree with you.

Then, is it in the genes? What makes me straight and what makes you homosexual? Scientists have been trying to find where it's coming from for a while.

I hope they never find a way to detect homosexuality using a DNA test. Think about homophobic future parents who are going to find out their kid has the gay genes. Will they still want the baby? Some folks consider homosexuality a disorder, that's the problem.

IroncladMarshmallow

Could it be that blaming genes is a way to avoid taking responsibility for one's actions? Suppose one claims that they're genetically predisposed to commit murder. Then it's not really their fault, and they didn't do anything bad, right? It's a lot like people blaming guns or psychiatric drugs for mass shootings. First of all, the individual makes a choice. Second, society also has a responsibility to treat people well. Blaming a person's inherent nature is almost always a way to detach oneself from personal responsibility to themselves and their fellow humans.

Khaos

Then, is it in the genes? What makes me straight and what makes you homosexual? Scientists have been trying to find where it's coming from for a while.

We're made from genetics. Genes. Some people have genes that give them blue eyes and blonde hair, some people have genes that give them blue eyes and brown hair. Genetic mutations can give out a variety of deformities and syndromes. People with down syndrome suffer from 47XXY which is a chromosomal disorder, which once again, genes. Life itself is a genetic mutation. Millions of years ago, we were singled celled organisms, over time, we mutated into multi celled, over time we continued to mutate and evolve into what we are today.

Genes impact the male/female chromosome. As evidenced in this story-

Study finds genes on X chromosome linked to male homosexuality

Read that.

Chromosome is your sex. What makes you and me male, and what makes others here female. Now a gene could possibly mutate, to cause the chromosome to do things that weren't originally intended. Look at people who are born with both male and female sex organs. Even people born without sex organs.

So what do we have? We have homosexuality one big fucking mutation. Is it a bad thing? I don't believe so. There are more heterosexuals on this planet than there are homosexuals. I don't see the human race dying out anytime soon. Actually if for some reason the human race were on the verge of extinction, I wouldn't mind submitting my sperm for donation. :p

I hope they never find a way to detect homosexuality using a DNA test. Think about homophobic future parents who are going to find out their kid has the gay genes. Will they still want the baby? Some folks consider homosexuality a disorder, that's the problem.

Well by that time, if technology has gotten that far or further, you might be able to do gene customization. You want your newborn child to be tall and muscular? Scrawny and short? Blonde hair and green eyes? Gay or Straight? Male or Female? Genius or Idiot? All you need to do is hand over a couple million dollars, and fill out a short form and your newborn son/daughter will be exactly what you want it to be. And yes, that is where science and technology is unfortunately heading. Eugenics. If nuclear war doesn't kills us off, Eugenics will.

And now onto the other post....

Could it be that blaming genes is a way to avoid taking responsibility for one's actions? Suppose one claims that they're genetically predisposed to commit murder. Then it's not really their fault, and they didn't do anything bad, right? It's a lot like people blaming guns or psychiatric drugs for mass shootings. First of all, the individual makes a choice. Second, society also has a responsibility to treat people well. Blaming a person's inherent nature is almost always a way to detach oneself from personal responsibility to themselves and their fellow humans.

I've seen you post around here. My name is Khaos. How exactly am I avoiding responsibility by being gay? I'm rather confused on what you are saying.

Psychiatric drugs can cause mass shootings. For someone like myself who has been on psychiatric medication for the last 11 years can tell you, one dosage missed, or a single milligram increased or even decreased, can set off a nasty chain reaction of events. True the person chooses to do this, but there is always an influencing factor. That is cause and effect. The cause was their mental illness, their choice to let their mental illness influence and override them, and the effect is to commit a mass murder

Similar thing with homosexuality. You have this influencing factor that causes a person to have feelings for the same sex. You can't say that a person just chooses to act like that and that is that, no other explanation required. There needs to be an explanation. I don't see how all of these men and women on this planet, the hundreds of thousands of them, suddenly woke up one day and decided to be gay. How do you explain that? There's something else going on.

How do you explain someone who comes from a strict Christian upbringing, where homosexuality was a taboo subject and rarely if ever never discussed or mentioned. Yet they become gay? I have a friend in Louisiana who is like that. I have another friend in Texas who is like that. Both came from really strict, anti gay families and upbringings, yet turned out gay.

You can't say that the environment and society made them gay. Because the society and environment they grew up in, was just that, anti gay.

IroncladMarshmallow

It's actually very simple. Strict religious upbringing leads to sexual frustration. Every single gay person I've met was either chronically neglected by the opposite gender or severely jilted by them. The only cases of children claiming gender confusion are when their parents are similarly dysfunctional. I don't like pointing out the obvious when I know it will upset some people, but it really is caused by upbringing and social environment.

Khaos

It's actually very simple. Strict religious upbringing leads to sexual frustration. Every single gay person I've met was either chronically neglected by the opposite gender or severely jilted by them. The only cases of children claiming gender confusion are when their parents are similarly dysfunctional. I don't like pointing out the obvious when I know it will upset some people, but it really is caused by upbringing and social environment.

Uh huh. Well consider me the first gay guy you have met that is an anomaly and was born gay. If you believe I chose to be gay, you go right on ahead and believe that, but I highly doubt those you claim you know, chose to be gay either.

I'm done speaking on this subject. I refuse to speak to those who are close minded. You can't reason with the unreasonable.

IroncladMarshmallow

As you wish. Note that I never said that gays can't be productive members of society or good people. I think maybe people think one belief necessarily goes with the other. I'll ask a rhetorical question, since you're done talking: why would I be on a site about time travel and aliens if I was close minded? :)

Suraska

Homosexuality is a social construct and a choice. Back when people knew they would be cast from society and probably thrown in prison for "coming out", homosexuals were a real novelty. Society agreed to stop tossing those few divergents in the dungeon and all of sudden LGBT is all the rage. Revert to old societal norms and see how fast this trend disappears. It is as much a choice as my attraction to dark haired men and that isn't written in my genes.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I don't agree with you. I believe that if there nearly no homosexuals back then, is actually because they were being thrown in prison or even worse. They just kept it a secret and didn't let anyone know about it.

Today, they have the chance to live a normal life without concerns of being attacked and thrown in prison for instance. Just like heterosexual individuals, they are free like every person should be.

I don't think there are more of them today. They're just no longer hiding.