Is the universe a hologram?

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
150427101633_1_540x360.jpg

Is our universe a hologram?
Credit: TU Wien

At first glance, there is not the slightest doubt: to us, the universe looks three dimensional. But one of the most fruitful theories of theoretical physics in the last two decades is challenging this assumption. The "holographic principle" asserts that a mathematical description of the universe actually requires one fewer dimension than it seems. What we perceive as three dimensional may just be the image of two dimensional processes on a huge cosmic horizon.

Up until now, this principle has only been studied in exotic spaces with negative curvature. This is interesting from a theoretical point of view, but such spaces are quite different from the space in our own universe. Results obtained by scientists at TU Wien (Vienna) now suggest that the holographic principle even holds in a flat spacetime.

The Holographic Principle

Everybody knows holograms from credit cards or banknotes. They are two dimensional, but to us they appear three dimensional. Our universe could behave quite similarly: "In 1997, the physicist Juan Maldacena proposed the idea that there is a correspondence between gravitational theories in curved anti-de-sitter spaces on the one hand and quantum field theories in spaces with one fewer dimension on the other," says Daniel Grumiller (TU Wien).

Gravitational phenomena are described in a theory with three spatial dimensions, the behaviour of quantum particles is calculated in a theory with just two spatial dimensions -- and the results of both calculations can be mapped onto each other. Such a correspondence is quite surprising. It is like finding out that equations from an astronomy textbook can also be used to repair a CD-player. But this method has proven to be very successful. More than ten thousand scientific papers about Maldacena's "AdS-CFT-correspondence" have been published to date.

Correspondence Even in Flat Spaces

For theoretical physics, this is extremely important, but it does not seem to have much to do with our own universe. Apparently, we do not live in such an anti-de-sitter-space. These spaces have quite peculiar properties. They are negatively curved, any object thrown away on a straight line will eventually return. "Our universe, in contrast, is quite flat -- and on astronomic distances, it has positive curvature," says Daniel Grumiller.

However, Grumiller has suspected for quite some time that a correspondence principle could also hold true for our real universe. To test this hypothesis, gravitational theories have to be constructed, which do not require exotic anti-de-sitter spaces, but live in a flat space. For three years, he and his team at TU Wien (Vienna) have been working on that, in cooperation with the University of Edinburgh, Harvard, IISER Pune, the MIT and the University of Kyoto. Now Grumiller and colleagues from India and Japan have published an article in the journalPhysical Review Letters, confirming the validity of the correspondence principle in a flat universe.

Calculated Twice, Same Result

"If quantum gravity in a flat space allows for a holographic description by a standard quantum theory, then there must by physical quantities, which can be calculated in both theories -- and the results must agree," says Grumiller. Especially one key feature of quantum mechanics -quantum entanglement -- has to appear in the gravitational theory.

When quantum particles are entangled, they cannot be described individually. They form a single quantum object, even if they are located far apart. There is a measure for the amount of entanglement in a quantum system, called "entropy of entanglement." Together with Arjun Bagchi, Rudranil Basu and Max Riegler, Daniel Grumiller managed to show that this entropy of entanglement takes the same value in flat quantum gravity and in a low dimension quantum field theory.

"This calculation affirms our assumption that the holographic principle can also be realized in flat spaces. It is evidence for the validity of this correspondence in our universe," says Max Riegler (TU Wien). "The fact that we can even talk about quantum information and entropy of entanglement in a theory of gravity is astounding in itself, and would hardly have been imaginable only a few years back. That we are now able to use this as a tool to test the validity of the holographic principle, and that this test works out, is quite remarkable," says Daniel Grumiller.

This however, does not yet prove that we are indeed living in a hologram -- but apparently there is growing evidence for the validity of the correspondence principle in our own universe.

TimeFlipper

Im thinking here that maybe we were created from a holographic universe, which is essentially a mathmatical template or model for the universe we now know...
There are many things we can make or predict accurately using math, which would be a hand down from the holographic universe..

Perhaps our holographic universe is a very big 2 dimensional computer system, capable of producing 3 or more dimensions..
Ahh perchance to dream :D

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Interesting article. A hologram universe is something that is definitely not impossible. It would explain so many things that don't seem to have an answer. That said, it just opens an infinite number of new questions that will likely never have an answer either.

If we are inside a hologram universe, who created it and how? That's a tricky question!

BlastTyrant

My big gripe with the this theory is that in a hologram nothing is real, you can't physically touch anything, taste or smell anything as it is all fake, the only way this theory is possible is if we are indeed holograms our self's, think of a Virtual game or better yet The Matrix, we could all be in a massive space shape in gobs of green jelly just dreaming this life as well and we will never know until we move on, but even then who knows? That could be fake as well!

Justinian

Interesting PA.. but I'll stick to the microcosm/macrocosm theory. Because like BT I'm not sure how we can have any of our six senses function in a hologram. Even simulated, you think that instead of crashing into a tree and dying that I'd just keep driving right through it.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I agree, I don't see how everything we see, feel, touch, taste, etc; can all be a hologram, or even stimulated like the Matrix...I just found the article an interesting read.. :)

Nimara

I don't think we are in the hologram, though, I do wonder if the paranormal is a holographic projection of our collective subconscious. Same with UFO's, aliens, gods, fairy, angels, etc. Which is more real and more holographic? Does it depend on which side of the veil your observing from? Does a ghost see itself as material, and us humans as the immaterial or a 'holographic' projection? Or is the ghost a holographic projection of our own minds?

Krish

It depends on hologram being an energy system or not...If it is energy, then you can touch, feel, smell everything. So, it depends on your point of view...as information is never lost....in the Multiverse...

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I agree, I don't see how everything we see, feel, touch, taste, etc; can all be a hologram, or even stimulated like the Matrix...I just found the article an interesting read.. :)
I wonder if a hologram can be so complex, that sentient life (like humans) can exist within it.