1. Dismiss Notice
  2. July 2017 Posting Contest: Win a $25 Amazon Gift Card!
    Click here for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this Peragro's world?

Discussion in 'Time Travel Discussion' started by Cornelia, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Cornelia

Cornelia Member

Is this Peragro's world?

http://www.museletter.com/archive/110.html

This letter was written by the journalist Richard Heinberg (author of "The Party's Over") on 2001. The world he describes is exactly Peragro world...

2. Loading...

3. Grayson

Grayson Senior Member

Is this Peragro's world?

Curious.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Senior Member

Is this Peragro's world?

Thank you very much for the link Cornelia. I hope it is ok that I copy that message here for everyone to see, and to store a copy of it here in case the link goes down.

5. CaryP

CaryP Senior Member

Is this Peragro's world?

Thanks for the post Cornelia. I had read this letter somewhere else a couple of months ago, but haven't been able to find again. This all fits in pretty well with what's happened since 2001, and other developing themes (Peak Oil, global climate change, world at war, etc.) Makes you just say, "hmmmm." Problem is what do you do about it? Stock up on survival gear, tools, seeds, non-perishable food stuffs, learn farming, water filtration system, arms and ammo, etc.? Even if you do stock up, where would you go? You'd be under constant attack once those without resources found out you had food, water, etc. How many people would you be willing to kill to keep you and yours alive? In the scenario portrayed, there's no way you'd be able to share resources. There would simply be too many in need. You would wind up sharing-away your survival, and starve with the unprepared. Very heavy stuff, but I've been stocking up anyway. If there's a chance at surviving this thing, I'm taking it.

Cary

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Senior Member

Is this Peragro's world?

Just in case anyone got confused by this. I wish to quote this section here.
    http://www.museletter.com/partys-over.html

7. Judge Bean

Judge Bean Senior Member

Is this Peragro's world?

I think that it's best to consider this future-scenario in light of two things:

1. It is not new or recent. They have been telling us that the world is about to end this way since at least 1970. There have been bestsellers by scientists and thinkos over the past 35 years warning about the imminent collapse of the economy, return of Christ, destruction of nature, and ruination of the moral structure of civilization. The apocalyptic "news" always has the same chilling emotional and psychological effect (witness Titor).

2. Whatever the validity of the predictions and evaluations, they fit snugly into the obvious regular human need to be forewarned of crisis and danger. When we are not immediately faced with insurmountable threats to our welfare and lives on a daily basis, we will peer hard into the future to try to find the next one coming-- sure enough, we will always see one coming. Because of the vague outlines of the threat, we must assume the worst, and make it as big as possible. We must assume we won't survive, just in case.

The message within the Letter is also this: We are morally corrupt, and will be punished for it. This biblical notion runs rampant through Western civilization like a Titan with its head cut off. When do we stop degrading ourselves like this? Human being does not equal Sinner to be Punished.

That being said, humans will erect warning posts wherever handy. The internet is the perfect place. Many Jews survived by seeing Hitler for what he really was just before he started killing his own people. The warning was out; the end of the world had arrived; many couldn't believe it.

The trouble is that a warning is in essence a hypothesis.

8. StarLord

StarLord Senior Member

Is this Peragro's world?

That little old grizzled man walking down the dusty streets of time wearing the placard that reads on both sides "The End is Nigh" has been proclaiming such ever since mankind had the wits to read.

Doom and gloom. Ragnarok since the times of the Vikings, and Gotterdammerung a bit latter. The list of words for the end of the cosmos is as long as your arm, one for each language. Apocalalypse. Now there is a funny word, for the litteral meaning is devine revelation. How ever did that become associated with a final ending of the world, or did I miss something in the translation?

You have a hodgepodge assortment of 3rd and 4th hand interpretations of variations on a theme of spiritual hope and the evidence of God, that was raped of any real import, mixed with histories of dreams from various benefactors, has a book that I am assuming is for that nice fireside sitdown readathon after dinner called the Book Of Revelations, all about the end of everything.

Imagine that, "Here you go, take heart because here's all the news that' fit to print about God and everything, Oh, by the way, you're all screwed because the world will come to an end, and man will it ever be ugly" What a hook! You can bet folks will sure want to be ready and learn everything they need to before closing time.

What is it about mankind that caused them to come up with a need for impending doom way before the need for speed? Just because this world is rife,fraught and a smidgen of chockfull of negativity is no excuse to get caught up in the whirlwind of gloom concerning our outcome in life. None of this is written in stone. But, I repeat, BUT, If folks do not figure out very quickly, like yesterday, that the more time they spend dwelling on the upcoming crap hitting the fan, CREATES a space for that event to happen. The more people think of something, as a group, the larger and more powerful that vortex becomes and the closer that instance comes to fruition here as an actual event.

Sure, nobody wants to be around some sappy goody two shoes that is convinced that every grass blade masks a pot of gold, or the thought {{Shudder}} of living in a world full of Doris Days or Polly Annas but Puuuuleeeezzzzeee we have a choice here. Let me repeat that for the hearing impared, We Have A Choice! Wake up for Gawds sake and shake that ooze that came from the TV set out of your heads.

The next time someone comes up with the next new and improved version of Titor's hell in a handbasket, stand tall, be proud, and just say Horse Cookies.
    I have no Sins, Life is not chasing me into that big grater in the sky, I don't have to make amends for something somebody did thousands of years ago and I wasn't even invited! To Hell with that crap (even though none exists)

Folks, get a clue, you have a choice, you dont have to believe everything that concerns the end of USA or the end of the world. Try imagining a better world for a change, cheap gasoline, honest politicians, a chicken in every pot, a government that excels in truly looking out for it's people, world peace. Try spending your attention and brain power on something constructive for a change.
    My bet is this will lead to chronic and sustained periods of no stress and less ulcers.
    The point is, you have to start to make that change and refuse to pass that negative buck, just drop it by the wayside and watch it flow away in the winds of change.

Chicken little was very mistaken, the sky wasn't falling, he was simply hit in the head when the rainbow completed it's arc.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Senior Member

Is this Peragro's world?

From my own experience if we do focus on that alternative time line that we want, in terms of hopes, dreams, prayers, intention, we will get it. No matter how closely it looks like the predictions are falling into place and regardless of what "percent divergence" there is always always room for hope. Ten years is a lot of lea way room to have hope for too.

There are two aspects two this though.

1) No matter how bad things get, humanity always has a way of finding a way through.

2) No matter how perfect a plan seems, there is always something not quite right about it. There are no silver bullet solutions to things.

Much like Quigon in Phantom Menace, you must keep mindful of the living force. Simply have faith that opportunities will present themselves no matter how dire the present circumstances may look. Never give up looking for them or acting on them as they come along, even if they are not what you originally thought or planned on doing.

10. Strangevisitor

Strangevisitor Member

Is this Peragro's world?

Fake or not the person does have some good points. It did make me wonder how to save seeds though (which probably wouldn't hurt me to know any way).

11. StarLord

StarLord Senior Member

Is this Peragro's world?

Saving seeds is always a good thing.