Is this the Loch Ness Monster?

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Is this the Loch Ness Monster? Sonar picture shows 'serpent-like creature' at bottom of mysterious loch

• New sonar image described by monster hunters as totally unexplained
  • Experts have ruled out the ‘sighting’ being any other fish, seal or debris
By Lawrence Conway
PUBLISHED: 06:25 EST, 20 April 2012 | UPDATED: 14:21 EST, 20 April 2012

It is one of the greatest mysteries of the deep, and its legend has outfoxed score of investigators over the generations.

Stories, pictures and rumors about a monster living below the surface of Scotland's deepest loch go back for decades.

But it is now hoped this grainy image of a long ‘serpent-like creature’ may finally unlock the mystery of the Loch Ness Monster.

article-2132574-12AEF9CC000005DC-863_634x666.jpg

Questions: This exciting new image of has revived belief that there's something unexplained out there

The sonar picture, that shows a large unidentified living object deep underwater, was recorded by Loch Ness boat skipper Marcus Atkinson.

The mysterious being was recorded at a depth of 75ft in the murky water and measured nearly 5ft wide.

Mr Atkinson’s sonar fish-finder device records the width of objects in the depths directly below his tourist boat every quarter of a second.

Image produced when his vessel was in the Loch's Urquhart Bay showed a long moving object that had followed the boat for more than two minutes.
The consistent marks on Mr Atkinson's sonar create a horizontal mass, which is not an indicator of length.

But excited Loch Ness monster experts have ruled out the ‘sighting’ being any other fish, seal or wood debris and believe it is proof of an unknown creature in the Loch.

article-2132574-12AE7F9B000005DC-404_306x423.jpg

article-2132574-12B023E6000005DC-384_306x423.jpg

Skipper: Martin Atkinson said he'd never seen anything like it, adding weight to previous alleged sightings such as this one (right)

The picture taken on Mr Atkinson's mobile phone of his sonar screen, has won him first prize in the Best Nessie Sighting of The Year Award run by bookmakers William Hill.

Mr Atkinson, 43, from Fort Augustus in the Scottish Highlands, said: 'I was dropping customers at Urquhart Castle and then got my boat out of the way of the other tour companies.

'I moved out into the water and looked at the sonar and saw this image had appeared.

'The device takes a reading of the depth and what is below the boat every quarter of a second and gradually builds up a picture, so it covered a time of about five minutes.

'The object got bigger and bigger and I thought "bloody hell" and took a picture with my mobile phone.

'There is nothing that big in the Loch. I was in shock as it looked like a big serpent, it’s amazing. You can’t fake a sonar image. I have never seen anything returned like this on the fish finder.

It is a bizarre shape to me. I have shown it to other experienced skippers and none of us know what it was.

article-2132574-12AE7F8B000005DC-26_634x468.jpg

Size: The sonar image potentially showing a large unidentified living object deep underwater
'I have seen a lot of pictures in 21 years of being here but this is the most clearest image yet. Undoubtedly, there is something in the loch.'

Steve Feltham, 49, a full-time Loch Ness monster hunter said: 'There are no animals in the loch as big as the image here, the biggest thing we see are seals which are nothing compared to this.

'It’s also totally unexplained and can’t possibly be fish because in water 75ft down you just wouldn’t find them.

article-2132574-12AE7F93000005DC-511_634x466.jpg

Alert: The unusual sonar image was unlike anything Loch Ness boat skipper Marcus Atkinson had seen before

'It’s very exciting and the best evidence we have had in donkey’s years. There is usually a mundane explanation yet no one has come up with one for this.

'It’s images like this that will keep me going with my hunt for the next 20 years.'
But other marine experts claim the mystery object may well have been algae in the water.

Dr Simon Boxall, from the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton, said: 'The picture is built up slowly as the boat moves.

'So it’s not a snap shot and thus the image is not an image of a single object unless it is very still.

'The image shows a bloom of algae and zooplankton that would exist on what would be a thermocline.

'Zooplankton live off this algae and reflect sound signals from echo sounders and fish finders very well.

'They will appear as a linear “blob” on the screen, just like this.

This is a monster made of millions of tiny animals and plants and represents the bulk of life in the Loch.'

article-2132574-12AF6177000005DC-800_634x615.jpg

This image from 2011 shows a pair of humps which soon disappeared under the waves of Loch Ness

There are reports all over not just in the loch about a big serpent like creature of some sort. Thank goodness for technology to help us on our quest. i feel on a personal note in my opinion maybe some ancestor of the dinosaurs still roaming the deep. Think about what do we really know about our oceans and lakes. There are deep bodies of water that we cant investigate. And the reports keep coming this one and bigfoot i think are the two most sought after stories. And alot of people have went to great lengths to find evidence of existence. There are new species and speices that we thought to be extinct that has been found in the deep waters in our world. So this begs the question what is really out there that we still do not know exist? I have a love for crytozoology and i just find it a very fascinating topic. Love and Light Vamp1r3Goddess

Ogopogo Quest, The Search for the elusive lake monster known as Ogopogo continues - Have you seen him in Lake Okanagan in British Columbia Canada? This is the newest similar to loch ness found in canada. Like Loch ness there have been tons of reports of sightings of this similar creature. I find it very interesting that we are getting closer to unlocking some of the greatest mysteries of all time. I hope to hear more on this subject. Love and Light Vamp1r3Goddess

Computerbug

This is very intriguing, I just hope that if he is real they don't go killing him for dissection or science or something, that'd be such a shame. But like our vampiric friend said, there are many other sea creatures such as Champ reported from countries all over the world so it's not out of the question that this is just an unknown species that's found in large bodies of water. Scientists seem to be so obsessed with searching in outer space even though we haven't even discovered all that much here on earth, it seems strange to me.

Rosco..Jones

I find it hard to believe that there could be a big enough population to ensure continuation of a species and not be seen regularly. The same can be said of Bigfoot, although I do believe in Bigfoot. Lake monsters could not be air breathers, as they would have to surface frequently. I do not feel that the sonar image proves anything.

Justinian

Ogopogo Quest, The Search for the elusive lake monster known as Ogopogo continues - Have you seen him in Lake Okanagan in British Columbia Canada? This is the newest similar to loch ness found in canada. Like Loch ness there have been tons of reports of sightings of this similar creature. I find it very interesting that we are getting closer to unlocking some of the greatest mysteries of all time. I hope to hear more on this subject. Love and Light Vamp1r3Goddess

Ahhh.. I couldn't think of this one, but I remember reading before about another one nicknamed "Champ" in Lake Champlain. So yes, there are many different stories of sea creatures alive and well today.

Just recently I watched a documentary on sighting in a lake in alaska. Evidence seems to show that they dwell in deep waters and stay submerged for long periods of time. They are very large and elusive which may be a good thing for them. There is a reason there are sightings all over and i don't think that many people are wrong. Love and Light Vamp1r3Goddess

Rosco..Jones

I have mixed feelings on lake water monsters that have remained hidden for centuries. They must have gills to eliminate the need to surface. They would require a minimum number to have a stable population. They would need a consistent food supply to maintain their numbers. I do not see this as a possibility in the lakes they are sighted at. But... as I feel about Bigfoot, they both may be examples of what happens when parallel worlds overlap for a short time. Here one day and gone the next.