Debate Is time travel worth the risk?

SavedByRask

Forgive my relative little understanding of how time travel works. The concept of it literally makes my head feel like it's about to explode, but it does fascinate me. My question is, if time travel is actually just going between different time lines, without the chance of coming back to the current one, is it worth it?

For instance, you have a great job, amazing family, and everything in your life is seemingly headed in the right direction. Is it worth it for you to travel back to a different time period to see what things would have been lime if "x" had happened instead of "y?" Whether that be from not breaking up with a former partner, taking a different job, or even just trying to warn a family member about a terrible accident.

Would it be worth the risk involved of not being able to come back to this reality and possibly having a completely different life?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Forgive my relative little understanding of how time travel works. The concept of it literally makes my head feel like it's about to explode, but it does fascinate me. My question is, if time travel is actually just going between different time lines, without the chance of coming back to the current one, is it worth it?

For instance, you have a great job, amazing family, and everything in your life is seemingly headed in the right direction. Is it worth it for you to travel back to a different time period to see what things would have been lime if "x" had happened instead of "y?" Whether that be from not breaking up with a former partner, taking a different job, or even just trying to warn a family member about a terrible accident.

Would it be worth the risk involved of not being able to come back to this reality and possibly having a completely different life?

A time traveler would need to answer your question. And I would look at anyone claiming to be one with intense skepticism.

TuesdayMcBob

It could be worthwhile. It depends on what you are looking for in life. You could make everything as perfect as you could possible make it. Remember lottery numbers, or birthdays you forgot in your past timeline!

I think... that if everything was going in the right direction... then... uhh... why? That's all I have on that bit.

Even if things blew balls bigger then the combined egos of all the worlds people it would still not be reason enough to go back.

There isn't a just a possibility that you would have a completely different life. Just by going to another timeline makes it completely different.

I don't think any travel to the past would be worth my time. That's just me. I want to see the far future.

Mayuri Shiina

I'd say if your perfectly content with what you have then I wouldn't. But you probably still could get back to your orriginal worldline. It may be difficult, but it is possible.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
I usually avoid all posting dealing with Debates. All people do is talk in cheerful circles, and very little information really comes of the debate postings.

Time Travel is the most dangerous thing a human could possibly try to do. Your chances of successfully leaving and coming back to your original world-line is less than 1%, if you try to Physical Time Travel with real Time Travel Equipment.

(I am not taking about HDR's here)

Last edited:

IroncladMarshmallow

I usually avoid all posting dealing with Debates. All people do is talk in cheerful circles, and very little information really comes of the debate postings.

Time Travel is the most dangerous thing a human could possibly try to do. Your chances of successfully leaving and coming back to your original world-line is less than 1%, if you try to Physical Time Travel with real Time Travel Equipment.

How did you calculate 1%?

Rawknee

Case in point. This is a prime example of exactly what you've described.

label

It has been contemplated but not proven that for every change you make a new but identical earth is created to exist side by side with the old one also going along its direction regardless of the change you tried to make. So in the end I think time travel may well be against nature and as any scientist will tell you nature is not kind to anomalies. And may even result more harm then good.

That said nothing is impossible and if you consider that every choice you make or will make is already made by and we are simply living in the moment and not actually exist at all things become really blurry and to a high degree it makes sense and that is the scary part.

Fact is your brain live in the past, you are simply reviewing information from a moment ago. thus it may well be that what we are or who we are or rather the 10% that makes us actually human is already in a state of death and life and afterlife existing at the same moment each going trough the motions and that to a high degree is your answer.

You cannot change what is already changed and cannot move past what has already ended and cannot stop something if it already began you can simply exist and process. So I think if you do go back in time you will not be able to interact with it.