James Holmes Studied Temporal Illusions to "change the past"

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I stumbled upon this video when taking a look at several news sites, which made me search a bit about and find a theory that's been around the Internet for a very short time now. I was really surprised to hear such a thing.

"Over the course of the summer I've been working with a temporal illusion. It's an illusion that allows you to change the past," Holmes said in the video.

He appears slightly nervous speaking to the group but also extremely intelligent.

This is how he was explaining his mentor's shared interest in fantasy versus reality in the video: "He also studies subjective experience, which is what takes places inside the mind as opposed to the external world. I've carried on his work in dealing with subjective experience."

James Holmes: Colorado Shooting Suspect Was Turned Away by Gun Range - ABC News

Here is the whole theory some people have thought about on the Internet today:

James Holmes was trying an "Experiment" with Temporal Illusion. He knew what he was doing, don't you see?

The theory of Temporal Illusion, in which one can change the past, was explored in the film "The Butterfly effect" where the main character, played by Ashton Kutcher, had the ability to go back in his mind to change periods in time where he "blacked out" to something different, which impacted his later life.. only, the ending was far from the truth of what would happen... The scenes where Kutcher's character was jailed in a mental institution would be the most likely outcome in every case of such a situation due to the fact that the subject can't actually change the past. Only make up an entirely different past for it to believe.

In the case of Holmes, he was attempting to pull off a similar stunt. He didn't mean to murder all of these people, he simply wanted to see if he could undo what he created with his mind. He truly believed in what he was doing, and that he could "take it back" to before he shot up the place.
James Holmes was trying an "Experiment" with Temporal Illusion. He knew what he was doing, don't you see? - Yahoo! Answers

Now, I doubt all of this is actually what is taking place right now, but since we're a bunch of time travel enthusiasts, I thought it would be way interesting to hear (read?) what you have to say about this.

Let me know what you think.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Oh my god. This is what I've been talking about. The Titor email experiment. Reality in alternate timelines is different. What if Holmes figured out a way to get to an alternate timeline, commit a crime and then return to the timeline where he didn't commit the crime. I can initiate a timeline change by altering a personal habit. But I have yet to reliably return to the unchanged timeline. What if Holmes practiced the ability enough to be able to control it. If he successfully returned to his timeline, then he got away with the perfect crime. That means there's a killer on the loose in an alternate timeline, and we've got the wrong Holmes.

This gives me ideas! Some of you may know that I am working on a time machine. What if I deliberately do some of my Time Wave experiments in alternate timelines. Maybe I'll catch or observe something that will give me a breakthrough. And just maybe I'll discover that an alternate version of me actually succeeded and while I'm in the alternate timeline, I'll take notes.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Einstein, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I removed our latest comments, as don't think they were appropriate in a time travel discussion. I was mistaken to justify a point made in a somewhat rude post, especially since it didn't directly have to do with time travel.

I don't think that committing such a crime in a alternate time line, for instance, would be very ethical regarding time travel, let alone morally right in the first place. You would basically have your other self pay for crimes he didn't commit. What do you think?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Not everyone is morally bound. In fact when I talk about stuff like this, I'm surprised more people don't jump in with their experiences concerning this phenomena. Perhaps most don't even believe it. I just tend to believe it happens to everyone, yet just a handful actually pay attention and notice the changes. But let's consider the morality of it just a bit more. Let's just suppose there is an alternate version of you that happens to be a billionaire. Would you make the switch knowing you might not be able to come back?

Himalayan Hermit

Not everyone is morally bound. In fact when I talk about stuff like this, I'm surprised more people don't jump in with their experiences concerning this phenomena. Perhaps most don't even believe it. I just tend to believe it happens to everyone, yet just a handful actually pay attention and notice the changes. But let's consider the morality of it just a bit more. Let's just suppose there is an alternate version of you that happens to be a billionaire. Would you make the switch knowing you might not be able to come back?
I personally won't and I don't think any sane person would either just because he/she would inherit Billions. What if the Billionaire counterpart (BC) there has an ailment or other physical issues, what if the BC is cheating on the spouse, is an outright a-hole :)

There are endless scenarios like this. Of course, my statement above is in consideration of your statement at Face value i.e. "you are not allowed back into this time line once you make the switch and the only thing you're told is that your counterpart is a Billionaire".

Sliders

I personally won't and I don't think any sane person would either just because he/she would inherit Billions. What if the Billionaire counterpart (BC) there has an ailment or other physical issues, what if the BC is cheating on the spouse, is an outright a-hole :)

There are endless scenarios like this. Of course, my statement above is in consideration of your statement at Face value i.e. "you are not allowed back into this time line once you make the switch and the only thing you're told is that your counterpart is a Billionaire".
it is my understanding that every possibility does exist, so a billionaire you does exist as well as a very poor you, but most likely their are more of you that are neither (most are average, not poor but not rich) unless we use an example Bill Gates most of the Bill Gate's are rich (some or poor and average). The Holmes video is interesting, he seem likes a normal kid. What happened along the way to him ? temporal illusions & subjective experiences in high school at that, I wonder how far his research took him ?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Himalayan Hermit

I really don't think you could equate a persons morality to their sanity. There are people out there that believe committing a crime isn't really a crime if you don't get caught. I consider myself a person with high moral integrity. I stop for stop signs. Yet I live in a state where that isn't the norm. Drivers behind me have actually laid on the horn because I've stopped at the stop sign.

There is something else to being rich that I have noticed. Happiness. Apparently that can not be bought. If you are basically an unhappy person. There is nothing that can change that mindset. But it may actually be that mindset that drives one to become rich.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Sliders

I don't believe all possibilities exist. For instance we know everyone dies. So the possibility of an alternate version of you being immortal probably doesn't exist. And only a very small portion of the population actually become billionaires. So in all reality based on percentage, the possibility of an alternate version of you being a billionaire would be vary low. That doesn't preclude it entirely though. Was there a point in your life where if you had chosen a different path, you might have become extremely wealthy? If there was, then an alternate wealthy version of you may exist. It is my contention that you would have to actually wear the mindset of that alternate version of you in order to switch places with him or her.

Today I tried an experiment to see if there were any changes in an alternate versions environment. I decided to wear my shirt inside out and backwards. I'll be doing it all day just to observe any changes in my environment. So far I have seen two changes that caught my eye. First was that I noticed my glasses were in a different location. They were on the banister along side the stairs. But now they are on my desk. Second thing I noticed was in my hobby room. I noticed the needle on the vacuum gauge on my vacuum forming machine was on the wrong side. That would indicate the machine was fully charged and holding vacuum. I don't normally leave it in the vacuum state. So I took a closer look. The gauge was backwards. The numbers on the gauge were printed on the dial from right to left. It didn't used to be that way. I live alone, so there is no chance that someone else is responsible for the changes.

HDRKID

I never thought of time travel being the motive for eagan. World is stranger than you can imagine. People should ask why he was studying neuro science. Maybe in one experiment he short circuited his central processor. This guy was a straight A student who got a scholarship and top scores. Wonder what did cause him to snap. That is certainly an enigma. I do know that none of his professors sounded a warning.

Here is an interesting article for you.
Time cloaking: how scientists opened a hidden gap in time - CSMonitor.com

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
When you compare the two individuals the Tucson shooter and the Aurora shooter: I see something very interesting. The eyes are the same wide-open in the mouth and expressions are the same. There are a lot of similarities with these two individuals. Would like comments, if you have any, to share.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTpTeKgohaNrgFTae8TJDKOWaUsJxekxGpg9F0aLy4lO5EM9T0oPB1WHNV5Q

Google Image Result for http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/39/2011/11/medium_03c0626d7b0a27772048d0bdab0952a5.jpg