Japan Reveals Plans For An “Invisible Train”

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Japan is known for its harmony between technology, design and nature. It also has a pretty awesome train network that boasts the world’s fastest train. So, it's perhaps no surprise that a Japanese rail network is in the midst of designing an express train that seamlessly blends in with its environment.

invis.jpg

Renowned architect Kazuyo Sejima has been commissioned by Seibu Railways to design a concept of an “invisible train.” Of course, there’s no sorcery involved – the train will actually give this impression using a semi-reflective mirrored exterior to reflect its surroundings. Although the project is currently still in its concept stage, they say seven of these trains could be rolling through the idyllic countryside and bustling cities of Japan as early as 2018.

While this is Sejima’s first foray into designing trains, she has a wealth of experience designing buildings of a similar reflective style, which have earned her the Pritzker Architecture Prize – often referred to as the “Nobel Prize of the architecture world.”

In a news release, Sejima said: "The project concept was introduced to me as 'a new limited express train like nothing seen before.'"

She added: "The limited express travels in a variety of different sceneries, from the mountains of Chichibu, to the middle of Tokyo, and I thought it would be good if the train could gently coexist with this variety of scenery. I also would like it to be a limited express where large numbers of people can all relax in comfort, in their own way, like a living room, so that they think to themselves 'I look forward to riding that train again.'"

See you there (or not).

Source:
Japan Reveals Plans For An “Invisible Train”

TimeFlipper

I love the Japs with their wacky ideas, however my belief is that train will serve as much use as an ashtray fitted to a Harley Davison motor bike would...Trust a woman to come up with that idea ;):D OMG have i said something i shouldnt have?? :confused::D

Servantis

Um.....correct me if I'm wrong but things that can hit you at high speed,things that can kill you,in general stuff that can really hurt if you don't see it isn't the idea to make it as visible as friggin' possible? that'd be like making a almost soundless electric car blend into it's environment-the damn thing would be smacking into everything!

I guess it's hard to miss a train but still anywhere but Japan I suspect it'd be a never ending lawsuit....and probably a few Japanese will get splattered by it.

TimeFlipper

Um.....correct me if I'm wrong but things that can hit you at high speed,things that can kill you,in general stuff that can really hurt if you don't see it isn't the idea to make it as visible as friggin' possible? that'd be like making a almost soundless electric car blend into it's environment-the damn thing would be smacking into everything!

I guess it's hard to miss a train but still anywhere but Japan I suspect it'd be a never ending lawsuit....and probably a few Japanese will get splattered by it.
I think there must be lots of Japanese couples making out in fields who have complained of passengers on trains seeing them making out,
which prompted the train manufactures to build an invisible train for them...It wont matter if they hear the sound of the train going by, because the couples will interpret that sound as their partners going through an ecstatic moment :rolleyes: :D