Jim Berkland Predicts A Quake On March 19th On The West Coast

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Take a look at his Wikipedia page for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Berkland
Jim Berkland is a retired geologist who worked many years for the U.S. Geological Survey. He was also the first County Geologist for Santa Clara County (in northern California) and was in that position for twenty-one years. He has published over fifty scientific papers. He has been a popular guest on many network news programs and talk shows on the subject of earthquake prediction. Berkland claims he has developed a method for predicting earthquakes, and on his web site and in a monthly newsletter, he lays out a detailed set of signs and precursors that he uses for his predictions. He also lists dozens of major earthquakes he claims to have predicted.

Keep in mind that on March 19th there's this supermoon event occuring. Some consider it may cause earthquakes.

What do you think ?

FallenAngel

What I wonder about earthquakes is this: When an earthquake occurs, it is due to the fact that the plates inside the earth are moving, right? Is it possible that when they move, the shape of the earth changes? My question is: Is that in favor of our survival or against it? The earth moves on an orbit around the sun, could the shape changing, as either turning into a smoother circle or more of an oblong shape, alter the orbit and cause the earth to go off orbit somewhat? Or would the shifting of the earth cause us to stay in an orbit that sustains human life? Correct me if I sound stupid, please! I'm just curious. I'm not trying to predict things either, just weighing possibilities. Are earthquakes God's way of keeping us safe, even if at the time they seem like God's anger? His way of balancing the universe?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, the Earth shape does change a bit when plates move. For example, parts of Japan moved about 8 feet in some places. Quakes are caused when there's too much stress between 2 plates, kinda like to rub 2 stones together. Once you apply enough force to both, they slide a bit. depending how much energy and stress there is, you can be in for one big earthquake.

I'm not sure if it keeps us safe or not. I guess we're safe on the long run, what do you think?

FallenAngel

Yeah, the Earth shape does change a bit when plates move. For example, parts of Japan moved about 8 feet in some places. Quakes are caused when there's too much stress between 2 plates, kinda like to rub 2 stones together. Once you apply enough force to both, they slide a bit. depending how much energy and stress there is, you can be in for one big earthquake.

I'm not sure if it keeps us safe or not. I guess we're safe on the long run, what do you think?

I think it keeps us safe. It's better to think this way. He needed to make some adjustments for us, that's all. It's much better than thinking the alternative, that he is extremely angry.

thedude

I think it keeps us safe. It's better to think this way. He needed to make some adjustments for us, that's all. It's much better than thinking the alternative, that he is extremely angry.
Adjustments is a pretty good way of looking at it. Like Numenorian said, when the stress becomes too much on the plates you get the quake but then like a domino effect you start getting all of the aftershocks as the stress on the plates distributes down the fault lines. Where the domino effect will stop is anyones guess. Currently the aftershocks have not stopped in Japan and we are still getting them in California even 3 hours ago. I would hope that all these aftershocks is releaving the stress but hard to tell. I don't know how it could be predicted without being psychic or having a supercomputer with lots of geographical data.

The supermoon will be expected to bring high tides but if tides caused earthquakes I think we would have quakes a lot more frequently.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Likely, as long as aftershock continue to happen, stress doesn't accumulate around the fault lines, which is some kind of a good thing. I don't think it means no "big one" can happen in the meantime though.

HDRKID

I hsve seen major earthquakes coming using remote viewing. As for japan, their problems are not over.

TAKEN FROM http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/31/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?hpt=T2
The levels of radiation in ocean waters off Japan's embattled Fukushima Daiichi plant continue to skyrocket, the nation's nuclear safety agency said Thursday, with no clear sense of what's causing the spike or how to stop it.
The amount of radioactive iodine-131 isotope in the samples, taken Wednesday some 330 meters (361 yards) into the Pacific Ocean, has surged to 4,385 times above the regulatory limit. This tops the previous day's reading of 3,355 times above the standard -- and an exponential spike over the 104-times increase measured just last Friday.