John Titor; Why did he Post?

Snake Plissken

I believe..
Zenith
I've been thinking about this for a while. Why would a time traveler (assuming in this thread that JT is real) Post on the Internet and risk revealing his location, and that of his device. I have put myself in his place, what would I do and what would I gain from Posting and what could I lose? Surely at basic training he would have been told not to reveal himself, his mission, his machine and if it was me I would be petrified of getting stuck somewhere in a time that is not my own. JT would have received plenty of training about this timeline around the year 2000. He would have known that any government would love to get their hands on a time machine. So why run the risk?
So perhaps ..

1. Titor was stuck here, maybe a malfunction of his machine. He needed to advertise himself to attract someone who could help him. Either from this timeline or not.

2. It was his mission all along to speak to us at that time, in that place but that opens up a bigger question, why? Coded messages for future reference? Coded messages for other travelers already here? Perhaps those posts will somehow change history which would benefit his own timeline. He did after all express his distane for us in this period of history.

I always found it curious that he abruptly stopped posting some months before 9/11. He must have known what was coming but did not seem to mention or hint at it. I wonder if he had somehow coded a message into one of his answers about it. I would be interested to learn if anyone has found/think they have found coded messages within the Titor Posts?

Martian

I think he said it was for personal reasons, after getting a computer in the 1970s. What those personal reasons were, I don't know. Could have been for a friend, for family, for himself, to change events, or something else. It would be interesting to hear from someone who talked with him back then.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
He made a video that stated he posted to make it easy for other copies of himself to find him. He also most likely passed on information via the posts.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Some people take it as a challenge to tell the biggest whopper of a story. It's just like a fish story. The fish keeps getting bigger each time you tell the story.

Last edited:

TimeFlipper

I think he said it was for personal reasons, after getting a computer in the 1970s. What those personal reasons were, I don't know. Could have been for a friend, for family, for himself, to change events, or something else. It would be interesting to hear from someone who talked with him back then.
Didnt he want the 1975 model of an IBM360 computer, on which he could decode something on?