Let's all get to know James Randi, the greatest skeptic known to man

cmac

Let's all get to know James Randi, the greatest skeptic known to man

Well, if you don't know who James Randi is, it is not a huge surprise. He was a very accomplished Magician and illusionist. Also sometimes considered a Con-man, he made a living deceiving people. Now he is likely the greatest skeptic known to man and has a bevy of followers who seemingly adore the man. His many articles are full of deception, misrepresentations, and arrogance. He proposes that others are con artists, deceiving the public for financial gain, whether they are profiting or not. He has made huge profits by throwing around his skeptical viewpoints, rarely backing up anything he spews with data and factual representations of others. Which is precisely what he enjoys accusing others of.

Here are some exerpts from James Randi, in comments asserted towards Dr. Gary Swartz, University of Arizona. I will let you be the judge of Mr. Randi's character. James Randi's comments are in regular print, Dr. Gary Swartz' comments follow in bold print.

As soon as Gary Schwartz produces data derived from a proper scientific experiment rather than from a game-show exercise, we can begin to examine that evidence — which I have always insisted must speak for itself. As it is, we hear only muffled mumblings and not one clear word.

Here is the entire article if you would like to see the complete version: http://www.psicounsel.com/marius/dear_james.htm

VERITAS – We publish our papers in peer reviewed journals, including the Journal of Scientific Exploration. Randi can read the papers if he likes….

It might be a warning sign to us that Schwartz was educated at Harvard, which also gave us Dr. John Mack, the man who apparently has never met anyone who hasn't been abducted by space aliens.

VERITAS – John Mack would likely call "never met anyone who hasn’t been abducted by space aliens" an example of your extreme, inaccurate, and potentially slanderous remarks. You may think you are cute, but your misinformation is quite unbecoming.

This is a very definitive protocol, one that could be easily and economically implemented, one that would result in a clear picture, not only of whether the performer was able to produce as claimed, but whether the methods we at the JREF believe are being used to accomplish trickery, are in fact the reasons for apparent successes. Now Schwartz seems to have abandoned any plans to use that excellent design. One can only wonder why.

VERITAS – Our multi-center, double-blind procedure has been approved by the IRB at the University of Arizona, and we are pilot testing it right now. It includes Randi’s suggestions.

Since Schwartz has admitted that he's never done a double-blind experiment, insisting that when he does get around to that mode he will improve it to "triple-blind" — whatever that means! — I will await his implementation of proper controls before making further comment; there is no need to explain something that has not yet been shown to exist. What he has done so far appears to be a series of games and amateur probes, quite without any scientific value — though the mediums are quick to quote him and claim academic validation from the University of Arizona.

VERITAS – The latest single-blind experiments rule out cold reading, guessing, selective memory of hits and misses, rater bias, and experimenter bias, from the findings. However, Randi doesn’t believe the data. This is because he is convinced this is all "nonsense."
By the way, the idea of a "triple-blind" study came up because Randi did not trust our double-blind procedures! We will do a triple-blind study once the double-blind study is completed. Triple-blind is ever more "bells and whistles"

Agreed, Schwartz has employed masses of technical attachments, lots of bells and whistles, and has applied statistics to the half-data obtained, but that is much like measuring chimneys with a laser beam to determine whether a fat man in a red suit can get down them, and to thereby explore the reality of Santa Claus.

VERITAS – The above statement is an example of extreme language by someone who does not know science nor care about data that goes against his view of how the universe must operate. Such extreme language is insulting to the intelligent mind who cares about truth in the reporting of data. We do not analyzethe half-data," we analyze all the data, and Randi knows this.

This is just the same old fare, cold reading, exactly what Edward and the other "readers" do! If we had an entire transcript or tape of this series of guesses, we'd be able to evaluate it, wouldn't we? But we will never have that. Dr. Schwartz won't share it with us. Why? That slamming noise you hear is the door to his Ivory Tower closing.

VERITAS – All media who come to the lab have seen the raw footage. So have magicians, visiting scientists, and others. Randi could have come to the lab, he could have come to the conference. Instead, he complains that we do not give him the raw data. Given all the misinformation presented by Randi above, can anyone blame us?

If you enjoyed this, you might also enjoy these links: www.cfpf.org.uk/articles/background/nicholls.html
http://www.psicounsel.com/randshel.html

This guy seems to be the speaker for the skeptical community, which really is a shame to the skeptical viewpoint and to finding the truth about reality.

cmac

Re: Let's all get to know James Randi, the greatest skeptic known to man

Here is an exerpt from one of the links above:

Comments by Randal Sheldrake "Randi also claimed to have debunked one of my experiments with the dog Jaytee, a part of which was shown on television. Jaytee went to the window to wait for his owner when she set off to come home, but did not do so before she set off.

In Dog World, Randi stated: "Viewing the entire tape, we see that the dog responded to every car that drove by, and to every person who walked by."

This is simply not true, and Randi now admits that he has never seen the tape."

I guess who could better claim to find the charlatans, than a charlatan himself. Guess that is where the takes one to know one saying came from.

Harte

Yep, Randi's an asshole alright.

And the point, other than this?

Harte

DoctorZ

THinkharder is my alternate internet name

that if an arguement is not being settle do some test and proove people wrong , not just word on a computer screen , i could show you that dowsing rod work to find what you search for also that a pendulum can guide you toward what you are searching for as well. been using them for more than 10 years so dont come and say otherwise cuz they work

cmac

Well, Harte. I would say this shows the character of the man behind this contest that I earlier said people see as a joke. He makes rash statements and flat out lies about things, seemingly over and over. Twists and turns things taking things out of context and puts them out to the public to turn attention away from the facts of the situation.

He is the front man for this entire JREF (James Randi Educational Foundation), which runs the contest that is set up so that no one can possibly win it. I've seen comments from Randi, that pretty much say the same thing. This guy has been comical at best with his antics over the years. He has likely made a lot of money for being basically a fraud, which is what he accuses other people of, that seems pretty hippocritical. But is mild compared to his slanderous remarks of people, bold face lies when in front of a camera, and character attacks on people. He is so behind the whole contest, the entire thing, they weren't even smart enough to hide it in black and white print, which should have been really easy for them to do. Likely his arrogance and ego wouldn't allow it, he needed to see his name plastered throughout it.

Harte

Well, Harte. I would say this shows the character of the man behind this contest that I earlier said people see as a joke. He makes rash statements and flat out lies about things, seemingly over and over. Twists and turns things taking things out of context and puts them out to the public to turn attention away from the facts of the situation.
Yeah, the descriptor I used is accurate.

He is the front man for this entire JREF (James Randi Educational Foundation), which runs the contest that is set up so that no one can possibly win it. I've seen comments from Randi, that pretty much say the same thing. This guy has been comical at best with his antics over the years. He has likely made a lot of money for being basically a fraud, which is what he accuses other people of, that seems pretty hippocritical.
No, in fact the man lives in a normal house in a (relatively - given his fame and given the opulence found in the area) shabby neighborhood in South Florida.

I've seen the place.

But is mild compared to his slanderous remarks of people, bold face lies when in front of a camera, and character attacks on people. He is so behind the whole contest, the entire thing, they weren't even smart enough to hide it in black and white print, which should have been really easy for them to do. Likely his arrogance and ego wouldn't allow it, he needed to see his name plastered throughout it.

It's his foundation, true. Start your own and scrape up some reward money the way he did. Then you can criticize, but not before.

How do you feel about Harry Houdini?

He did the same thing, only perhaps a little more nicely.

That is how Randi - a former stage magician - sees the situation.

Harte

cmac

Just showing who and what James Randi is all about. The man that the whole JREF foundation and contest is named after. The James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF). It's not surprising that Harte has been by his house.

This is a statement made by James Randi himself, 'I am a charlatan, a liar, a thief and a fake altogether.'

So this guy is a joke, but yet we are to believe that is "contest" is legit? No way. Now I plainly see why everyone laughs about his contest. Just more con games by Randi, just as usual, situation normal for him.

So, Harte, you can criticize people for their comments, but I can't criticize Randi, and his contest? Man, that doesn't make any sense. Why would someone have to put their own money together for a contest, to be able to make comments about James Randi or his contest? I've never come across that rule or law in this world, I guess that is in something you came up with on your own.

Here is what you stated, "Start your own and scrape up some reward money the way he did. Then you can criticize, but not before." So I have to start my own foundation, scrape up reward money or else I can't criticize someone? Are you kidding? For your own sake, I would hope so.

If Houdini went around acting like James Randi, then I'm certain I would disagree with his treatment of people.

I could post tons more about Randi, but I think most people get the point. His own comments easily point out who and what he is all about.

The guy is slanderous and a flat out liar, yet we are supposed to believe his contest is legit. That's not exactly logical thinking. It is plain to see in the application alone, that it isn't a legitimate contest. Just as I was hearing for years from peoples comments about it. After seeing the rules, and reading more about Randi and his antics, it is even more plain to see.

Randi himself told people that if someone did somehow happen to prove anything, he wouldn't pay the money, because then by showing the paranormal, it wouldn't be paranormal anymore. This is who you are backing here, and this contest, a well known con-man.

Harte

Just showing who and what James Randi is all about. The man that the whole JREF foundation and contest is named after. The James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF). It's not surprising that Harte has been by his house.
I lived in South Florida for more than ten years. I was curious.

This is a statement made by James Randi himself, 'I am a charlatan, a liar, a thief and a fake altogether.'
Yep. In other words, he's a magician, like I said.

So this guy is a joke, but yet we are to believe that is "contest" is legit? No way. Now I plainly see why everyone laughs about his contest. Just more con games by Randi, just as usual, situation normal for him.
If "everyone laughs" about his contest, why did he have so many applicants?

So, Harte, you can criticize people for their comments, but I can't criticize Randi, and his contest? Man, that doesn't make any sense. Why would someone have to put their own money together for a contest, to be able to make comments about James Randi or his contest? I've never come across that rule or law in this world, I guess that is in something you came up with on your own.
Because there is nothing wrong, illogical or misleading about his award or the means by which anyone might receive it.

Here is what you stated, "Start your own and scrape up some reward money the way he did. Then you can criticize, but not before." So I have to start my own foundation, scrape up reward money or else I can't criticize someone? Are you kidding? For your own sake, I would hope so.
There is nothing wrong with the rules of the JREF award. My suggestion was to do it yourself to see by what means you would decide to grant your award.

You seem to have some problem with the fact tha JREF would dare to require an applicant to demonstrate their paranormal ability before receiving the check.

My suggestion was to see how you would decide. The way it looks, you'd give it to me if I could pull a coin out of my ear.

If Houdini went around acting like James Randi, then I'm certain I would disagree with his treatment of people.
However, you aren't simply criticizing Randi's abusive nature here - which is obviously fair game.

Also, you might want to research what the "mediums" of the time said about Houdini once he started exposing them.

The guy is slanderous and a flat out liar, yet we are supposed to believe his contest is legit. That's not exactly logical thinking. It is plain to see in the application alone, that it isn't a legitimate contest. Just as I was hearing for years from peoples comments about it. After seeing the rules, and reading more about Randi and his antics, it is even more plain to see.
You are unwilling to look past your own unexplainable bias then.

There's nothing wrong with a guy getting together his own award money and deciding for himself how to mete it out.

No individual is guaranteed the "right" to collect the award simply because they apply for it. This ain't social security. Why shouldn't Randi and his foundation try to arrange their award requirements in a way that ensures that a claimant can only receive it if they have demonstrated the previously agreed-upon (by both parties, by the way, including the claimant themself) paranormal ability in the previously agreed-upon (again, by both parties, including the claimant themself) way?

Randi himself told people that if someone did somehow happen to prove anything, he wouldn't pay the money, because then by showing the paranormal, it wouldn't be paranormal anymore.
Quote please, and link to the source.
Nonetheless, Randi was not involved in any decision regarding whether to grant the award (or not to grant the reward) so the above claim is completely meaningless.

This is who you are backing here, and this contest, a well known con-man.
No, in fact I'm defending the contest, not the man.

See what I mean by your bias? Randi is not involved in any of the steps required for applicants that seek to win this award.

I said this before in previous psots, only to apparently be ignored by yourself so that (it seems) you might continue to occupy a warped imaginary world where Randi is a big meanie keeping psychics (like the "psychic" Sylvia Brown - a far worse person than Randi ever dreamed of being) from collecting JREF award money.

Why are you still pretending that the award has anything at all to do with Randi and his abusive nature?

Harte

Keroscene

I read the other day that James Randi posted on his blog that he is gay. I say good for him. Since this thread is titled "Let's get to know James Randi" I thought I'd throw that out there.

I probably would have used "debunker" instead of "skeptic" in the title, though.

JasperMoon

I'd rather not get to know him. He'd debunk his own mother if he thought it would give him some publicity and brownie points on the side of the skeptics. May he become ultra psychic himself so he can never debunk anyone else again.