Millionaire Time Traveler from 1800s Atlanta?

k3lt

Many years ago I read an article about a man whose name I cannot remember, but he was a self-made millionaire, textiles I think, and sometime in the 1800s he built a stone mansion in what is now downtown Atlanta. The article went on to relate that this man either was time traveling, or experimenting with it, but had sealed a room in the upper story of his home, keeping the door locked from the inside to prevent anyone from moving furniture which could cause a problem should he travel in or out of the room. I believe the house was taken over by some sort of preservation group and is still there today, but it's been at least thirty years since I read about it and cannot remember the man's name, or the exact location of the home, though I think it may have been off of either Spring or Peachtree Street.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Mayhem

Zenith
I did a little looking just around Peachtree Street from a website that showed a lot of old houses, didnt look at Spring Street.

Millionaire, textiles? do you remember the name of the company? if so can search further.

Wind7

Staff
Is this it?

Sounds like a self made millionaire...........Albeit not in Textiles.

Yet the house has a better claim to fame, albeit one that’s in serious dispute. Its original owner, Confederate veteran Rufus Rose, made his fortune as a whiskey maker, and most local websites unhesitatingly credit him as the founder of the Four Roses distillery, which produced the country’s top-selling bourbon during whiskey’s mid-century golden age. “In 1906, the ‘Four Roses’ trademark was registered, probably named for Rufus, his brother Origen, and their two sons,”