Mock Mars Mission: Utah Habitat Simulates Life on Red Planet

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Scientists, engineers and legions of volunteers have worked hard to make a mock Mars habitat in Utah as realistic as possible.

mars-desert-research-station.jpg

The Mars Desert Research Station (MDRS), which is run by the nonprofit Mars Society, aims to help humanity prepare for the rigors and challenges of life on the Red Planet. It was designed in line with Mars Society founder Robert Zubrin's "Mars Direct" settlement approach, which sees crews living off the land as much as possible, MDRS director Shannon Rupert told SPACE.com.

"The idea was a small crew on these kind of preplanned set of missions that would allow astronauts to get there and have a functioning habitat in place," Rupert said. "We approached it from the idea that it's there and ready to go, and they [the crew] just have to land."

The habitat is the product of a great deal of analysis over the years, as the Mars Society and its advisors have considered what would be abundant resources on Mars — and which would be scarce ones.

Power, the planners reason, would be easy to get with the help of solar panels. (Right now, two large diesel generators fill that need for the habitat.) Water, however, would be limited, which is why the crew must send daily reports of water usage and keep showers to a military-style, two-minute sprint every other day. Each crew receives two bins of shelf-stable food to eat, and they can even harvest something from a nearby greenhouse (once the plants have grown enough).

Full article and photos:
Mock Mars Mission: Simulated Habitat Aims to Recreate Red Planet Living | Space.com

Justinian

I wonder if they will first send out pods long before the arrival of the actual people? Like build a pod, and start the plants growing inside the greenhouse pod, and then send it, land it, and deploy the solar panels to sustain the power requirements of the plants. Then they can remotely monitor them like they do the rovers and see how it works before sending any people. Then by the time people get there, the plants will be ready to eat. Same with the other pods. Send and deploy them remotely so that once the people get there, everything is in place, minus having to manuever some of the sections into place so that the pods are connected.

Justinian

I applied for a manned space mission, but was declined. So I tried TN. lol. Seriously I did. I was hoping like hell, but they said they were sorry, that they weren't looking for communications engineers right now. I'm thinking that's kinda dumb, but whatever. I tried and they denied.

TnWatchdog

I applied for a manned space mission, but was declined. So I tried TN. lol. Seriously I did. I was hoping like hell, but they said they were sorry, that they weren't looking for communications engineers right now. I'm thinking that's kinda dumb, but whatever. I tried and they denied.
What do you think about the one way ticket to Mars? After the rocket fires there is no turning back. Oh course...is going to Mars any different then settlers coming to the new world?

Justinian

I'm okay with a one way ticket. It'll be a great way out of child support for me. :p But, realistically, yeah I do feel like those first settlers coming to America never knew if they'd make it here let alone be able to go back. Plus I bet it was expensive to pay for a trip or even more to fund one just going one way. And besides. I can go start the Mars version of the NWO. Maybe that's why they won't hire me? They read my mind. I mean I think most people would love to be remembered throughout history for some great deed. What better way than to be one of the first settlers on Mars. Sure they won't remember my specific name, but my kids and their kids and their kids and so on and so forth will know. And then when I get to Mars I'll have more kids there. then I'll be paying child support on two planets. Yikes!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Justinian wants to be the first president of Mars!

I think the "no going back" clause is scary. Imagine being one of the X most isolated human beings of history. Mars is way farther than the new world.

Justinian

You know.. this is kind of like your other thread with the one way time travel. I think of it the same way almost. Except its Mars we're talking about here which is a whole other beast. But.. the thing that gets me is nobody really seems to be biting on either one. I mean all the debating on here about how corrupt this or that is, the NWO, the this and that, blah blah blah.. bitching. Yet here would be the chance to go to a new place and start over. To be a founding father. Realistically, no government on this planet would be able to control you. Sure they'd control your supplies for a short time, but it would have to be an autonomous society free to develop and govern as it chooses. Don't think another civilization like in the movies, just think of it like a new nation being formed. Because you could never really be free of this or any other planet until you find a way to create your own water and oxygen. And even then if the tech was there, they'd probably hold it back from you until they were sure you'd play ball with them. Them being BOTH the US and Russia. But I mean come on people.. here's your chance to go create that perfect "free" society and nobody seems to be jumping at it. As for me; I've seen enough on this planet of what humans can do that just makes me sick. I've been to war. I've been to third world countries where animals are treated better than people. I've even been to my own country where even in todays day and age, a veteran is spit on for taking pride in serving his country(different story, different day), but I'm a loner. I prefer solitude over society. Give me a few books and leave me alone. That's me. But, I'd love the chance and whole-heartedly accept any chance to be a founding father of a new nation. And they shall proclaim me; Emperor Justinian II.