Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

titorite

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Narcissistic Personality Disorder - Diagnostic Criteria, American Psychiatric Association

An individual diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder needs to show at least 5 of the following criteria:

• Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements).
  • Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
  • Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
  • Requires excessive admiration.
  • Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations.
  • Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends.
  • Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
  • Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.
  • Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
  • This enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior must deviate markedly from the expectations of the individual's culture.
  • This enduring pattern is inflexible and pervasive across a broad range of personal and social situations.
  • This enduring pattern leads to clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Narcissistic Traits
Individuals with Narcissistic Personality Disorder show an exaggerated sense of self-importance, insensitivity towards the feelings and needs of others, and callous exploitation of others. They alienate others with their arrogance, self-centeredness, greed, and lack of kindness. They have feelings of entitlement; they often expect to be catered to and are furious when this does not happen. They are attention-seeking and admiration seeking. In severe cases, this disorder can develop into "malignant narcissism" with manipulativeness, deceitfulness, and callousness. This malignant narcissism is identical to the selfish, callous and remorseless use of others that is seen in psychopaths. Some individuals with malignant narcissism rise to high positions of power in society by becoming masters of manipulation and deceit.

I bring this up because I feel it has become a common problem in society today. Ever since learning about it about a year ago I can see it in many different kinds of people. Both online and in real life. This is also one of the Toughest mental disorders to treat because the narcissist does not feel they have a problem. In fact they might become angry at just such a suggestion.

As you the reader look over this opening post do you know anyone it would apply to and if so would you care to share your experience?

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I think everyone is guilty of being narcissistic at one point or another..I myself am known to have one or two of these traits, for instance I can be very jealous..

I know PLENTY of narcissistic people, the ones who think they're better, the ones who think they're right about everything, and even the manipulative ones..In some ways I'm envious (see, jealousy) of these types, because I'm the type who worries too much about others, when I should worry more about my own self...But we all have our flaws, and maybe there's a natural balance between the many different personality types.. :)

titorite

I think everyone is guilty of being narcissistic at one point or another..I myself am known to have one or two of these traits, for instance I can be very jealous..

I know PLENTY of narcissistic people, the ones who think they're better, the ones who think they're right about everything, and even the manipulative ones.

Its the ones that think they are better then the best, that are detrimental, for example I had this associate named Eric, very self centered, very mean to his dad, very entitled... currently serving time for crime. My own father too, Super Narcissist, He'd be serving time in prison if he were alive but he took the easy way out years back on the bullet train. We all have our degrees of narcissism I suppose but it is the severe narcissistic folks, the clinical that I reference here. The ones that make their way through life at the expense of others. The ones that would rather be in the company of those they despise rather than no company at all because they hate being alone more than anything. As high of an opinion of themselves that they have they feed of the attention of others, and without that validation they are left with their own critical thoughts of crippling self doubt and self questioning.