New Data Shows Supermassive Black Holes Grow Faster Than Previously Thought

Minita

Astronomers from Swinburne University of Technology have discovered that supermassive black holes are growing much faster than previously thought. New research shows each ten-fold increase of a galaxy's stellar mass is associated with a much larger 100-fold increase in its black hole mass.Scientists previously thought supermassive black holes, located at the center of galaxies, increased their mass in step with the growth of their host galaxy. Swinburne Astronomers created this animation to show the fate of some of the stars which venture too close to the central supermassive black hole.

fate of some of the stars which venture too close to the central supermassive black hole.
Follo

TnWatchdog

Black Hole 'Mystery Wave' Takes Astronomers By Surprise

r-BLACKHOLEWAVE-large570.jpg

Astronomers studying an unusual black hole system have spotted a never-before-seen structure in the disk of matter encircling the system.
Click on link for the full story...
Strange Structure Spotted in Black Hole

TnWatchdog

Black Hole At Galaxy's Heart Has A Severe Case Of Gas
The Huffington Post | By David Freeman
Posted: 06/25/2014 2:59 pm EDT Updated: 06/26/2014 3:59 pm EDT

Call it a severe case of gas--on a cosmic scale.
Data from multiple space observatories show that gas is spewing at very high speed from the supermassive black hole at the heart of a galaxy some 245 million light-years from Earth.
The discovery comes as a bit of a surprise. While there's nothing odd about "winds" of ionized gas flowing from black holes, the stream of gas is moving away from galaxy NGC 5548 at speeds of up to 5,000 kilometers per second (11 million miles per hour). That's way faster than the galaxy's "persistent" wind, which blows at about 1,000 kilometers a second.

o-DIAGRAM-570.jpg

This illustration shows a cloud of material above the supermassive black hole and accretion disk at the center of galaxy NGC 5548. Numerous other filaments twist around the black hole as they are swept away by radiation "winds."

Click on link for full story and video
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/25/supermassive-black-hole-galaxy-gas_n_5528026.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl19|sec3_lnk3&pLid=493972

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I just look at the article as pure speculative fiction. There still has been no nail in the coffin observation that even confirms the existence of black holes. But I'm sure you can find lots of believers though. But then some people believe in Zombies and Vampires too.

IroncladMarshmallow

I just look at the article as pure speculative fiction. There still has been no nail in the coffin observation that even confirms the existence of black holes. But I'm sure you can find lots of believers though. But then some people believe in Zombies and Vampires too.
What about zombie vampire black holes? They eat brains, drink blood, and really suck!

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Stop dat. I don't believe in Zombies. I just like Daryl.